2 postdoctoral positions in sociology
Sort on published: 2016-05-12
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
We are now recruiting two postdoctoral positions in sociology, with an appointment term of two years, with a view to offering the opportunity for teaching based employment for a further two years.
Research at the Department of Sociology is mainly theory-based empirical research with a clear connection to society. Our research can be undertaken in connection with one of the three research groups at the Department - Cultural Matters Group, The Uppsala Lab of Economic Sociology and Welfare and life course - or in the form of separate research projects. For more information see:
The project is to be defined by the applicant. Previous experience that matches the current research profile of the department is desirable.
Work tasks: The work consists of 80 percent research and 20 percent teaching. The employee shall be based on the department and take an active part in its activities.
Qualifications required: Doctoral degree in Sociology. To qualify for a position as a postdoctoral researcher you must hold a doctorate, or a foreign exam which is equivalent to a doctorate, in Sociology. The degree must have been awarded within three years before the deadline for this application. The ability to teach in Swedish or English is required, as well as a good command of English, both spoken and written.
Criteria for ranking: In ranking qualified applicants, special consideration will be given to (1) academic skills, (2) the potential of the project described.
In filling this position, the university aims to recruit the persons who, in a combined evaluation of competence, skills and documented qualifications, is judged most suitable to carry out and develop the work-in-hand and to contribute to the positive development of the research program.
Application procedure: Application, written in Swedish or English, shall contain:
- A letter of application that includes: a brief description of yourself, your previous research, and how it ties in with the research undertaken at the Department (max 3000 characters including spaces and references) and your earliest possible starting date (but no earlier than September 1, 2016).
- CV with list of publications and recognized teaching experience and mentioning of your present workplace (e.g., name of the department).
- A longer research plan (max 13000 characters including spaces and references). The research plan shall include the following headings: purpose and goals, field review of existing research, project description (consisting of theory, method, timetable and implementation), the significance of the project for the research field and, if applicable, preliminary results. If necessary, also ethical considerations. The research plan must also show whether, and if so how, the project is related to your thesis. The project plan should only include details of the project work that you wish to undertake.
- Copy of doctoral degree certificate, with the date of exam specified.
- A copy of the doctoral dissertation and copies of no more than three other publications.
- Name, e-mail address and phone numbers of three references, preferably including any letters of reference from them.
Interviews with candidates may take place. The Department expects that notice of decision to applicants may be given in the summer.
For further information about the positions, please contact:
The Head of the Department, Professor Patrik Aspers, e-mail email@example.com (phone +46 18 471 51 91).
For administrative questions contact Joel Wilger, (phone +46 18 471 51 95, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
In case of different interpretations of the English and Swedish version of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than June 7, 2016, UFV-PA 2016/1091.
We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help. We only accept the application the way described in the advertisement.
Placement: Department of Sociology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed pay
Number of positions: 2
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Marie Ols, TCO/ST
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Stefan Djurström, Seko 018-471 3315
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2016/1091
Last application date: 2016-06-07