Senior Lecturer in English
Sort on published: 2018-07-06
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
Type of position: Full-time, permanent appointment from 2019-02-01.
- Teaching and examination of undergraduate and MA courses in English language literatures and academic writing, as well as supervision of student essays
- Development of courses and teaching methods, particularly in teacher-training courses
- Establishing and developing existing collaborations with the Faculty of Education and Campus Gotland in order to strengthen the teacher-training education offered at the Department of English
- Supervision of doctoral students may also come to question
- Independent research
- Course coordination, administration and other administration
Regular attendance at the workplace is a requisite for active participation in the Department’s work.
Eligibility: According to the Higher Education Ordinance, applicants are eligible for employment as Senior Lecturer if they hold a doctoral degree or have equivalent academic competence relevant to the duties of the position. The applicant will have completed training in tertiary-level teaching (10 weeks) or acquired equivalent knowledge in other ways and must be able to demonstrate excellence in teaching. The candidate should also have the personal capabilities required to carry out the duties of the position well. The latter qualification includes the capacity to work well with others both within and outside the Department. Since the job entails communication and cooperation with other faculties and campuses, fluency in Swedish is required.
The ability to teach in English is a requirement.
Assessment criteria: In the ranking of eligible applicants, equal weight will be accorded to research and teaching competence. In assessing research competence, primary consideration will be given to the quality of the research. Research qualifications must be in the fields of English language Literature. Particular weight will also be placed on the ability to initiate and conduct original research that addresses pedagogical or didactic concerns within the field of English language literature.
Teaching excellence at undergraduate and master’s levels should be documented. Experience in curriculum and course design, online pedagogy, distance and blended learning, and teacher-student training will be considered an advantage. Experience of using literature as a pedagogical tool within teacher education will be considered a merit. Experience of doctoral supervision and examination, and supervision and examination of undergraduate theses will also count in the applicant’s favor.
Administrative expertise should be well documented. A proven track-record of outreach activities and interaction with the broader community will also be considered an asset.
Good interpersonal skills and a documented ability to cooperate with colleagues is important.
In appointing a person to this academic post, priority will be given to the applicant who, after a holistic assessment of competence and skills, is judged, alongside documented qualifications, to possess the greatest potential for performing and further developing the relevant duties and contributing to the positive development of the working environment as an active and physically-present employee.
Applications: The application should be written in English and should be submitted to the Uppsala University recruitment system, Varbi (MyNetwork). The application must comprise:
- A list of qualifications and positions held (CV).
- An account of academic activities, teaching work, and other relevant activities.
- A list of academic and educational publications. Among these, applicants should select a maximum of five publications or other works that they consider to be of particular relevance to the position.
- The recruitment group may make use of interviews, trial lectures, and references. Applicants must therefore submit a list of referees (no more than three) who can elucidate the applicant’s professional competence and personal qualities that have bearing on the post, such as leadership qualities and the capacity to cooperate.
- A portfolio of teaching qualifications, which must be organized in such a manner that makes it possible to assess the quality of these qualifications.
The application and attachments must be submitted electronically to the recruitment system Varbi.
Uppsala University aims for gender balance and diversity in all activities in order to achieve a higher quality at all levels of the organization. We therefore welcome applicants of any gender and with different birth background, functionality and life experience.
Pay: Individual salary
Type of employment: Full-time position, Permanent
Working hours: 100 %
For further information about the position, please contact
The Head of Department, docent Ashleigh Harris, tel. 018-471 1263, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications to be submitted no later than 10 September 2018, UFV-PA 2018/2657.
We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help. We only accept the application the way described in the advertisement.
Placement: Department of English
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Pay: Fast lön
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2018/2657
Last application date: 2018-09-10