Temporary position as Senior lecturer in Computational Linguistics
Sort on published: 2018-09-19
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The Department of Linguistics and Philology pursues education and research in General and Computational Linguistics, the European classical languages, and Asian languages and cultures. Education is offered in the first, second and third (doctoral) cycles.
- The main tasks are teaching and grading courses in Language Technology, including supervision of student essays. The duties will mainly be concerned with the international Master Programme in Language Technology, which is taught in English. Work in the following areas can be expected: general Language Technology, machine learning in Language Technology, parsing, and information retrieval, as well as programming and mathematics.
- Development of courses and teaching methods.
- Supervision of doctoral students may also come to question.
- Independent research.
Regular attendance at the workplace is a requisite for active participation in the Department’s work.
Eligibility: According to the Higher Education Ordinance, applicants are eligible for employment as Senior Lecturer if they hold a doctoral degree or have equivalent academic competence relevant to the duties of the position. The applicant will have completed training in tertiary-level teaching (10 weeks) or acquired equivalent knowledge in other ways and must be able to demonstrate excellence in teaching. The candidate should also have the personal capabilities required to carry out the duties of the position well. Good collaborative skills are important.
The ability to teach in English is a requirement.
Assessment criteria: In the ranking of eligible applicants, both research and teaching competence will be important. Teaching and research qualifications pertinent to the areas mentioned in the duties section will carry particular weight.
Administrative competence should be documented. Records of outreach activities and interaction with the broader community will also be considered an asset.
Good interpersonal skills and a documented ability to cooperate with colleagues is important.
In appointing a person to this academic post, priority will be given to the applicant who, after a holistic assessment of competence and skills, is judged, alongside documented qualifications, to possess the greatest potential for performing and further developing the relevant duties and contributing to the positive development of the working environment as an active and physically-present employee.
Applications: The application should be written in English and attachments should be submitted to the Uppsala University recruitment system, Varbi The application must comprise:
- A list of qualifications and positions held (CV).
- An account of academic activities, teaching work, and other relevant activities.
- A list of academic and educational publications. Among these, applicants should select a maximum of five publications or other works that they consider to be of particular relevance to the position.
- The recruitment group may make use of interviews, trial lectures, and references. Applicants must therefore submit a list of referees (no more than three) who can elucidate the applicant’s professional competence and personal qualities that have bearing on the post, such as leadership qualities and the capacity to cooperate.
- A portfolio of teaching qualifications, which must be organized in such a manner that makes it possible to assess the quality of these qualifications.
Uppsala University aims for gender balance and diversity in all activities in order to achieve a higher quality at all levels of the organization. We therefore welcome applicants of any gender and with different birth background, functionality and life experience.
Salary: Individual salary
Starting date: 2018-12-01 or as otherwise agreed.
Type of position: Temporary position for two years.
Working hours: 100 %
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Joakim Nivre, email email@example.com, tel. +46 18-471 7009 or the Head of Department, Beáta Megyesi, tel. +46 18-471 7860, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to submit your application no later than 12 October UFV-PA 2018/2942.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find much information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact the International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Linguistics and Philology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2018/2942
Last application date: 2018-10-12