Postdoc in Translational Cell and Clinical research with focus on Obesity and related Type 2 Diabetes
Sort on published: 2018-09-25
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The Department of Medical Cell Biology at Uppsala University has a strong and international research and teaching environment with over 100 scientists, including around 25 PhD students, 20 postdocs and 30 researchers and professors.
The work focusses on obesity-related changes in islet hormone secretion studied in both isolated islets of Langerhans and children with obesity.
- a) Cellular research: studies in isolated islets of Langerhans and cell lines delineating mechanisms for obesity- and type 2 diabetes-related changes in cellular function. This involves work with cell culture and experimentation including glucose-stimulated insulin secretion, over- and under expression of genes, protein and transcript expression and related techniques.
- b) Patient research: studies in patients with obesity and obesity-related complications at the Overweight Unit at Uppsala University Children’s Hospital. This work includes oral glucose tolerance test with handling of samples in conjunction with the test, analyzing and entering results into the patient handling program RedCAP.
Active participation in the day-to-day operation and mission of the pre-clinical and clinical lab team, supervision of research students and participation in the writing of grant application and publications are also tasks. Limited teaching and administrative duties are also part of the position up to a maximum of 20 %, supervision included.
PhD in medicine, biomedicine, cell biology or other fields relevant for the position, and a solid publication record of related peer-reviewed research. Extensive experience with cell culture and related techniques is a requirement. Additional merits are prior experience in the fields of islet research and clinically-related research. To qualify for the postdoc employment, the PhD must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application date (periods of for example sick- or parental leave are deductible). Applications are judged according to eligibility, previous experience and scientific excellence within related fields, and personal suitability.
Your application should include:
- Cover letter motivating your interest in the position and your suitability (no more than 2 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Complete list of publications
- Summary of current work (no more than one page)
- Names and contact info for 2-3 references
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible
Type of position: Temporary position for two years
For further information about the position please contact
Professor Peter Bergsten, 018-471 4923, Peter.Bergsten@mcb.uu.se
Please submit your application by 15 October 2018, UFV-PA 2018/3202.
We decline offers of recruitment and advertising help. We only accept the application the way described in the advertisement.
Placement: Department of Medical Cell Biology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2018/3202
Last application date: 2018-10-15