Researcher in electrochemical studies of Zn surfaces for rechargeable aqueous batteries
Sort on published: 2018-10-26
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 42,000 students, 7,000 employees and a turnover of SEK 6.7 billion.
The Department of Chemistry - Ångström laboratory conducts research and education in the chemistry field. The department has more than 200 employees and has a turnover just over 200 million SEK. At the department's six programs, we conduct very successful research of a high international standard. We have a large number of externally funded research projects, often with international cooperation and we see continued good growth in our subject area. The department has education assignments in engineering and civil engineering programs and master's programs.
Subject description: The primary focus of this research project will be studying the surface reactivity of Zn metal surfaces in water-based rechargeable batteries with mild pH in combination with electrodes relying on open-framework compounds. The goal of the project is to protect/modify the Zn surface and reach a stabilization of its electrochemical behavior in contact with Zn-ion aqueous electrolytes, aiming at extensive cycling of the resulting cells. The purpose is to improve the coulombic efficiencies of this rechargeable system and reducing the risk of uncontrolled growth of Zn dendrites/mossy deposits, which typically lead to internal short circuits in these cells. Tuning of the electrolyte composition will also represent another crucial aspect to improve the interface behavior of metallic Zn and contribute to an enhancement of the performances.
- Research within the subject area.
- Supervision of degree projects (max 20 %).
- Collaboration with other researchers and post-docs.
- Periodic report of the results of the research activities.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
- A PhD within the field of Chemistry or Physics or other for the position relevant fields.
- Excellent oral and written proficiency in English.
- Solid background in aqueous electrochemistry and materials interfaces.
- Proven experience in materials characterization through a wide set of techniques.
- Familiarity with electron microscopy as well as structural and surface analyses.
- Familiarity with electrochemical techniques and related methodologies.
- Proven ability in scientific writing and research development.
- Previous experience with rechargeable battery systems.
- Excellent organizative and initiative skills.
- Possible use and/or development of complementary in situ/in operando techniques.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: 01-02-2019 or as otherwise agreed.
Type of position: Temporary position ending 31-01-2020.
For further information about the position please contact
Dr. Mario Valvo, email@example.com. Please only contact regarding specific questions on the project or the position. Applications sent in through email will not be accepted.
Please submit your application by 12 December 2018, UFV-PA 2018/3796
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Chemistry - Ångström Laboratory
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2018/3796
Last application date: 2018-12-12