Register with the Social Insurance Agency

Social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system. Swedish social insurance covers most people who live or work in Sweden. The social insurance system is administered by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). The purpose of the social insurance system is to provide financial security during the various stages of life. It provides financial protection for families and children – for example, for people with disabilities, illnesses, work injuries, and for old people.

To be eligible for social insurance benefits, you must, as a general rule; either formally reside in Sweden or be employed and work here.

Please note that if you are a doctoral student and receive a scholarship or stipend, you are not covered by social insurance benefits even if you stay for more than 365 days. If you receive a scholarship or stipend for activities other than doctoral studies, you are not required to pay taxes in Sweden. In this case, you will not be covered by employment-based benefits.

Residence-based benefits

If your stay in Sweden exceeds 365 days, you are in most cases entitled to residence-based benefits. Examples of residence-based benefits are child allowance and housing allowance.

Child allowance
Children who are resident in Sweden are entitled to child allowance. It is paid from and including the month after the birth of the child, or when the child moves to Sweden. The child allowance is tax free and is paid until and including the quarter that the child attains the age of 16.

Parental benefit
When a child is born, parental benefits are paid to the mother or father for 480 days. The days of parental allowance are divided equally between the parents. They can be transferred to the other parent, except for 90 days per parent that cannot be transferred.

Employment-based benefits

If you are employed in Sweden you are in most cases covered by employment-based benefits, which include, for example, sickness benefit and parental benefit.

Pregnancy benefit
Some work can be difficult or impossible to do when you are pregnant. This may be because the work is physically strenuous or because there are risks in the working environment. In the first situation, your employer should transfer you to other tasks. If this is not possible, you can receive pregnancy benefit.

Temporary parental allowance
This benefit may be claimed by a parent for loss of income, for instance, when a child is ill. It is paid for a maximum of 120 days per year until the child is 12.


You do need to register with Försäkringskassan before applying for compensation. It is recommended to do this as soon as you come to Sweden as this may take a long time. More information about this can be found on Försäkringskassans Website and the form you will find HEREIt is important that at the question number 10 fill in the application for EHIC cards, otherwise the investigation is not done at once.

Försäkringskassan in Uppsala

Health and parental insurance for doctoral students with stipends

Uppsala University provides, through an agreement with the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet), insurance cover for Doctoral students whose studies are funded through stipends.

The insurance shall apply when the Doctoral student's stipend is reduced due to his/her absence from studies in the case of illness or parental leave. The insurance consists of three parts:

  • Sickness benefit
  • Parental benefit
  • Temporary parental benefit

More information about terms and conditions regarding this insurance is available at Kammarkollegiet.