Uppsala University organises a range of activities for our international guests. Below, you can read about the programme that has been planned for the autumn 2017.
29 January 18:00-20:00
Universitetshuset, The Chancellor's room
The University Management cordially invites you to a Welcome Reception for newly arrived international researchers, lecturers, doctoral students and their partners.
- Welcome speech by member of UU management, followed by dinner buffet
- Guided tour
Please register no later than 22 January
Register here: http://doit.medfarm.uu.se/kurt11089
Please note that registration is binding.
22 November 2017
10.00 ‑ 11.00, Session 1 Sal 4001, Ångströmlaboratoriet
Considering an academic career? (In English)
The session targets junior researchers, i.e. postdocs and PhD-students in their final year.
(open for all interested researchers).
- Research Support at UU Ylva Bäcklund
- Junior Faculty Elisabeth Bolund
- Funding opportunities for junior researchers Sofia Wretblad,
- COST actions Anders Alderborn
- Considering an academic career? Some career advice Kristina Edström
11.15 – 12.45, Session 2, Sal 4001, Ångströmlaboratoriet,
Research Professional- your tool to find funding opportunities. Targeted to all researchers. (In English)
Research Professional is a calls database, available and free for all UU researchers, which enables tailor-made searches for funding opportunities. Learn how to use it and set up your personalized searches. Staff from Research Professional will be there to help you.
13.15 ‑ 16.00, Session 3 (only in Swedish) Polhemsalen, Ångströmlaboratoriet
Forskningsfinansiärerna informerar - inriktning, kriterier, aktuella och kommande utlysningar.
- SSF Joakim Amorim
- Mistra Johan Edman
- Energimyndigheten Jenny Köhler, Marie Claesson
- Vinnova Maria Landgren
- Formas Sandro Caruso
- Vetenskapsrådet Gergana Angelova Hamberg
- EU-finansiering - trender och kommande utlysningar Reihaneh Dehghani
16.00-18.00 Fakultetspub, Ångström våning 4 rum 14167 Upptech bjuder in till Fakultetspub! Här ges möjligheten att fortsätta samtalen med representanter från Mistra, Formas och Vinnova över lättare tilltugg och dryck. För mer information och anmälan se www.upptech.uu.se/fakultetspub
Contact person/sign up:
Please register by filling out the form on this link: http://doit.medfarm.uu.se/kurt11010
Questions? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
9 December 14:00
Don’t miss our annual Lucia Celebration at Vaksala school on Saturday the 9th of December at 15.00. Lucia and her maids will sing traditional Lucia and Christmas songs and Santa Clause will hand out presents to the children. There will also be folk dancing and other merriments. Coffee, Christmas lemonade and cakes will be served. Join in and have fun! All free of charge.
Contact person/sign up:
Please register by e-mail: email@example.com. Last day for signing up is 4 December 2017
Contact persons: Gunilla Söderman phone number 073-9037306, Cecilia Wernhoff Zaluha 070/34 99 401, Kristina Axell 072/2253558.
Welcome! / FIF Families For International Friendship
Junior Faculty’s VR/Formas grant writing workshop spring 2018
Please apply before 1 December 2017
Are you a junior researcher planning to apply for a project research grant (starting grant/etableringsbidrag or similar, not postdoc fellowships) from the Swedish Research Council (VR) or Formas in 2018? If so, you may be interested in the VR/Formas grant writing workshop organized by Junior Faculty and the Researcher Services at Uppsala University. The workshop is open for junior researchers at the disciplinary domains for Science and Technology (TekNat) and Medicine and Pharmacy (MedFarm).
During the writing workshop, groups of one mentor and usually 3-5 applicants meet. The schedule and format of these meetings are decided by the mentors/groups but usually amount to between 2-4 meetings. Mentor groups are formed based on similar topics/review panels as far as possible and all participants are expected to read and comment on each others applications. Mentors are researchers with ample experience in writing and reviewing grant applications.
Since the availability of mentors limits the number of participants, we ask that you only apply if you are sure that you will be able to devote enough time to write your application, read the other participants’ applications and attend the workshop meetings. Participation is important so if you are accepted to the workshop but do not attend without valid reason, you may not be eligible for the 2019 workshop.
- Latest Friday 1 December 2017: submit an application to the grant writing workshop (see below for instructions on how to apply)
- December: formation of mentor groups, information sent out to participants
- Thursday 18 January 13.00-15.00: VR/Formas information seminar (open for all, not just workshop participants)
- January to grant deadline in March/April (depending on grant): groups meet according to their own schedule
Who can join the workshop?
Formation of workshop groups is always dependent on the availability of mentors and thus participation can never be guaranteed. To apply to the workshop, you need to fulfil one of the following criteria depending on which grant you are applying for:
1. PhD 2-7 years ago (adjusted for deductible time, e.g. parental leave) for applications to VR (Starting Grant/Etableringsbidrag or Research Project Grant) or
2. PhD 2-8 years ago (adjusted for deductible time, e.g. parental leave) for applications to Formas (Future Research Leaders).
How to apply to the workshop
The application form is available at http://doit.medfarm.uu.se/kurt11067 until 1 December 2017. Before you fill out this application form, please make sure that you have read through the guidelines from VR and/or Formas regarding the grant you plan to apply for. The calls for 2018 are not yet out, so use the information from the 2017 calls (see below). Also, you will need to submit a preliminary project summary as part of your application to the workshop. For a full list of what is needed to apply for the workshop, please see below.
Check list for workshop application
- Any deductible time after your PhD (e.g. parental leave), calculated as months of 100%
- Preliminary title of application
- Preliminary summary, maximum 1500 characters including spaces, following the guidelines for the grant you are applying for
- Primary and secondary review panels (please check VR or Formas websites)
- Motivation for participation in the workshop
Links to VR/Formas instructions (NB, calls from 2017):
- VR-NT: https://vr.se/inenglish/researchfunding/applyforgrants/callforproposals/closedgrants/startinggrantnaturalandengineeringsciences.5.6b078ee51581835cea275390.html
If you have any questions, please contact Andrea Hinas (JF administrator) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome with your application!
/Andrea Hinas, JF administrator
Anders Jonsson, Research Services
- For newly arrived international researchers, lecturers, doctoral students and administrative staff
13 February 2018, 09:00 - 13:00
The aim of the seminar is to provide you with useful information about Uppsala University, working conditions and benefits and to give insights into different aspects of life in Sweden.
- Uppsala University in brief – historical overview, organisation and goals
- Working and living in Sweden
- Social activities
- Moving to Sweden – a guest researcher´s experience
Please register no later than February 6th. Register at: http://doit.medfarm.uu.se/kurt11117
Please note that registration is binding.
Emma Jansson & Åsa Furberg, IFSS
professional EngLish courses for UU employees
The Unit for Professional English (UPE) is a unit within the Department of English at Uppsala University dedicated to helping university employees develop their English-language competence. The UPE will be offering four courses this autumn. For more information on these courses, please see the UPE website:
PUBLIC GUIDED TOURS AT MUSEUM GUSTAVIANUM
On Saturdays and Sundays the guided tours are free of charge
At 13 Highlights - guided tour in English
(No tour if the Museum has another public programme).