Objectives and strategies for world-leading research
Bold goals demand perseverance and the courage to venture along new paths. Uppsala University stands behind the search for knowledge in order to contribute to human knowledge and global development. Research should take on the major challenges facing society as well as purely scientific questions. The University in all its breadth provides unique opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration and new combinations. The ability to attract and to create good working conditions for skilled academic staff is the most important factor for the University’s success in the international academic community.
The University will strengthen its position as a leading international research university.
- The breadth and diversity of research will be maintained and developed.
- The allocation of research funding between and within scientific disciplines and faculties will be based on evaluations of quality and productivity.
- New and strategically important areas of research will be given special support for rapid establishment.
- The application of sound research practices and ethical research principles is an absolute prerequisite and will be secured through continual educational and informational efforts.
- Dynamic research environments with shared infrastructure will be fostered to support excellent research and facilitate innovative cooperation.
- Cross-disciplinary research cooperation within the University and with external partners will be supported and structural barriers to cooperation will be removed.
- All research will be thoroughly scrutinized in order to strengthen quality and add new aspects. Research results will be published via the most prominent channels in the respective subject areas.
- Research results will be made available in open access channels, wherever possible.
- Cooperation with national and international research funding agencies and organisations will be reinforced and academic staff will be encouraged to take on duties in such organisations.
- External research funding will be increased by giving organisational support for the design of broad and cross-disciplinary research initiatives.
The University will attract the most qualified academic staff from all over the world.
- Recruitment by means of international competition will be facilitated by openly advertising vacancies in the relevant languages in addition to Swedish, and by operating carefully considered, quick and efficient appointment processes.
- Recruitment of young academic staff from all over the world will be facilitated by offering clear career paths and resources to aid establishment for those appointed.
- Staff skills in both research and education will be fostered by providing opportunities to arrange continuous periods for research between periods of teaching.
- Excellence in teaching and research will be rewarded and competence development will be encouraged.