Application and tuition fees for PhD students
PhD programmes are free of charge in Sweden, regardless of citizenship. However, if you are enrolled as a PhD student and wish to take additional courses at Bachelor’s or Master’s level that are not included as part of your research programme, you must pay application and tuition fees if you are a citizen of a country outside the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland.
The following applies to PhD students who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland:
1. If you want to take courses at Bachelor’s or Master’s level outside of your PhD programme:
- You must apply for courses through www.universityadmissions.se or www.antagning.se.
- You must pay application and tuition fees.
The university’s government funding for research is not to be used to pay for these types of courses for PhD students.
2. If you want to take courses at Bachelor’s or Master’s level included in your PhD programme:
- You must always contact the department giving the course, in order to have the choice of course confirmed.
- You do not need to pay application or tuition fees.
Exemptions from application and tuition fees
Some international students will be exempted from paying student fees. More information about the exemptions.