Master's studies

Housing, financing, and health

Before you apply to Uppsala University it is important that you start thinking about the practical details of your time as an international student. This includes where you will live, how you will finance your studies, what insurance coverage and healthcare benefits will apply to you and the support services that you will be entitled to receive at Uppsala University.

On this page you will find information to help you prepare for your future at Uppsala University.


Students from non-EU/EEA countries
If you are a fee-paying student, that is, a citizen of a country outside of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, then you can benefit from our housing guarantee. This means that as long as you apply for and accept your offer on time, we will provide you with a student dormitory room, and you will be responsible for paying rent. Please note that the housing guarantee also applies to scholarship recipients.

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland
If you are a non-fee paying student then you are responsible for arranging your own accommodation while studying at Uppsala University. This can be a very competitive process. The demand for housing is always greatest during August and September, so start your search for a place to live early and put some time, energy and thought into it.

Swedish Residence Permit

Students who are citizens of a country outside of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland must obtain a Swedish residence permit to study in Sweden. This is done through the Swedish Migration Agency. Information will be sent to all admitted students regarding Swedish residence permits in late April or early May.

Swedish Migration Agency