Master’s studies

Study at Uppsala University

Campus Areas

Learn more about Uppsala University’s campus areas in this interactive map of Uppsala and Visby.

It is important to note that Uppsala University has two study areas, in the city of Uppsala and on the island of Gotland in the Baltic Sea. Make sure you know where your Master's programme is located before applying!

On this page you will find practical information about being a student at Uppsala University.

Your Wellbeing


All students at Uppsala University are covered by accident insurance while on the university premises and on direct way to and from school. Other international student groups, including fee-paying Master's students, non-fee-paying Master's students, and exchange students, may also be covered by additional insurance. It is very important that you find out what kind of coverage you will receive or need to organise privately before arriving in Sweden.

More about insurance


As a student in Sweden you can experience one of the world's safest and most egalitarian societies. Here, there is a distinct balance between social equality and economic success. In fact, Sweden has one of the lowest levels of poverty in the world and has not been at war for 200 years!

Sweden is also a very multicultural society and as one of Uppsala University's 4000 international students you will feel very much at home.

Support Services

At Uppsala University, the health and wellbeing of our students is taken very seriously. We strive to provide superior support to you prior to your arrival, during your studies and even after you graduate. Here, all students share the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities, and staff members are always on hand to assist and support you.

Your rights as a Master's student

Study and Career Counselling


Financing your studies


Learn more about the scholarships available for prospective students.


Application and tuition fees

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, you are required to pay application and tuition fees to study at a university in Sweden. The application fee is SEK 900, and the cost of tuition varies between SEK 50,000 and SEK 72,500 per semester, depending on the programme.

If you are a citizen of a country within the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you are not required to pay application or tuition fees to study in Sweden.

More about fees

Cost of living

Regardless of whether or not you are required to pay application and tuition fees, you must be able to cover your personal living expenses while in Sweden. To obtain a Swedish residence permit, the Swedish Migration Agency requires you to have a minimum of SEK 79,740 in a bank account belonging to you if your programme has a duration of one academic year,  SEK 159,480 in a bank account belonging to you if your programme has a duration of two academic years, and SEK 239,220 in a bank account belonging to you if your programme has a duration of three academic years.

Please note that living in Sweden can be very costly, and SEK 7,974 per month is the absolute minimum amount of money that you will require.

More about financing your studies


Students from non-EU/EEA countries
If you are a fee-paying student, that is, a citizen of a country outside of the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, then you can benefit from our housing guarantee. This means that as long as you apply for and accept your offer on time, we will provide you with a student dormitory room, and you will be responsible for paying rent. Please note that the housing guarantee also applies to scholarship recipients.

More about the housing guarantee

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland
If you are a non-fee paying student then you are responsible for arranging your own accommodation while studying at Uppsala University. This can be a very competitive process. The demand for housing is always greatest during August and September, so start your search for a place to live early and put some time, energy and thought into it.

Finding accommodation in Uppsala

Finding accommodation on Gotland

Swedish Residence Permit

Students who are citizens of a country outside of the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland must obtain a Swedish residence permit to study in Sweden. This is done through the Swedish Migration Agency. Information will be sent to all admitted students regarding Swedish residence permits in late April or early May.

Swedish Migration Agency