General rules for user accounts and computer networks
The following rules apply to any use of user accounts and computer at Uppsala University.
The usage of the computer network at Uppsala University is intended to facilitate studying, research and normal working duties. Other types of usage can be permitted provided it does not affect the intended usage or cause harm to Uppsala University. In the case of employees and other active individuals the heads of department are responsible for making decisions regarding acceptable usage.
The following applies:
- All usage of user accounts and computer networks must follow Swedish laws and regulations.
- User accounts, passwords and codes are individual and must be used only by the intended individual.
- Computers, mobile devices and other equipment connected to Uppsala University’s computer network must have relevant protection such as anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall.
- SUNET’s ethical rules regulate other usage. SUNET judges unethical behaviour to be when someone
- attempts to gain access to network resources that they do not have the right to,
- attempts to conceal their user identity,
- attempts to interfere or disrupt the intended usage of the network,
- clearly wastes available resources (personnel, hardware or software),
- attempts to disrupt or destroy computer-based information,
- infringes on the privacy of others or
- attempts to insult or offend others.
Functional and temporary accounts have one person responsible for the account but more than one person can be given access the account.
For all use of the University’s computer network, traffic metadata is saved for trouble-shooting or investigation of suspected violation of laws, regulations or university rules.
These rules are based on Uppsala University’s General directions of IT field (UFV 2013/907) (only available in Swedish).
Any person found violating or suspected of violating these rules can be disconnected from the network for investigation. Furthermore, disciplinary or legal action may be taken.
These rules apply from 20 November 2013.