PhD Student position in Business Studies
Sort on published: 2018-01-19
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Business Studies conducts research and provides education on the doctoral level in the following fields: Entrepreneurship, International Business, Marketing, Organization/Management and Accounting/Finance.
The Department is seeking a PhD Student for the following project:
"The involvement of MNCs in social innovation projects: Exploring the liability of newness”
Project description: Multinational corporations (MNCs) have been featured as one of the central performers in the fulfillment of UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. In particularly, MNCs’ worldwide reach and vast resources have been pinpointed to have a vital role for accomplishing social value creation. However, situated on the border between societal development and profit maximization, the role of MNCs in social innovation activities is inherently complex and we still know very little about this phenomenon. The aim of this project is to contribute to the research on ‘social value creation’ in MNCs, in particular the role and involvement of MNCs in social innovation projects.
Knowledge in both qualitative and quantitative methods is an advantage.
Funding: Scholarship for three years, the (fourth) last year with a doctoral studentship (a PhD employment).
Duties: The duties of a PhD student are primarily directed at his/her own research education (four years full-time). The work may also involve, to a limited extent (maximum 20%) other departmental duties, mainly related to teaching – in which case the position may be extended to maximum five years.
Requirements: In order to get a PhD position, the candidate needs to be admitted to the doctoral programme, and for this, his/her potential ability to pursue the programme is decisive. For admission to the PhD program in Business Studies, an applicant must have basic eligibility and the special eligibility prescribed by the Faculty. See General Study Plan
A TOEFL-test or an equivalent language test is a requirement. However, note that applicants with a master’s degree from an English-speaking university or programme do not need to prove their English skills by submitting a TOEFL-test.
Criteria for assessment of applications: please see "Processing of applications"
The application must include:
- Certified transcripts of academic records, diplomas and other relevant documents that prove general and specific eligibility.
- A research proposal in English. The research proposal should address the main research questions and the relevance of the project, relate the project to relevant previous research in the field, and present issues regarding data and methodology. The proposal can be max. 12,000 characters including spaces.
- Motivation letter
- Master Thesis and books, articles, scripts, etc invoked.
- TOEFL test (or equivalent tests). However, note that applicants with a master’s degree from an English-speaking university or programme do not need to prove their English skills by submitting a TOEFL-test.
- Two letters of reference/recommendation (for example, from university teachers or employers). The recommendation should state in what way the referent has known the applicant. We are particularly interested in an assessment of the applicant in terms of our admissions criteria (see link at the department of Business Studies, "Instructions for recommendation letters"). References should email their letters to email@example.com and give a copy to the applicant who attaches the letters to the application.
Interview: An evaluation committee assesses the applications and provides a recommendation for which candidates should be called for interviews.
Starting: June 18th, 2018
Working hours: 100%
Information about the positions is given by Director of PhD studies Katarina Blomkvist, firstname.lastname@example.org, or administrator Elisabeth Hallmén, email@example.com ph. +46(0)18 471 1369.
Please submit your application by February 18, 2018, UFV-PA 2018/147. Only complete applications with supporting documents will be reviewed.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Business Studies
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fast lön
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet
Suzanne Borén Andersson, TCO/ST 018-471 6251
Ellena Papaioannou, Seko 018-471 3315
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2018/147
Last application date: 2018-02-18
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.