PhD project in Pharmacognosy
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
The department of Medicinal Chemistry conducts research and teaching in the field of drug discovery. More information about the department and ongoing research and teaching is found at http://www.ilk.uu.se. The department has a total of about 85 employees.
The aim of this PhD project is to investigate the toxic action of alpha-nemertides, peptide toxins found in marine ribbon worms. The PhD student will study the molecular level interactions of alpha-nemertides with target receptors in parallel with evaluation of their effects in vivo in a selection of target pests. The work involves synthesis, folding and purification of peptide mutants, which will be analyzed in selected bioassays. Structure-activity relationships will be studied both on receptor and organism level. Other techniques that will be involved includes LC-MS, LC-MS/MS, next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques. Depending on outcome of discovery efforts, 2D-NMR and molecular modeling techniques may be employed.
The results of the project will provide a more precise understanding of the mechanisms of action and activity profile of alpha-nemertides, and clarify the potential practical utility of these peptides as pesticides and antiparasitic agents. The results will also contribute to the ongoing exploration of nemertean toxins, and their biological roles.
A person fulfils the general entry requirements if he/she has
- A completed Master of Sciences degree or equivalent.
- Completed courses equaling at least 240 higher education credits (ETCS), of which at least 60 at second-cycle level, or may have principally equivalent knowledge acquired in Sweden or abroad.
Other assessment criteria are
- Experience and skills in solid-phase peptide synthesis, HPLC and LC-MS
- Prior experience of marine natural products, especially peptides
- Experience of work with in vivo bioassays, for estimation of toxicity
- Experience and skills in NMR, bioinformatics and computational chemistry
Important personal qualities include good problem-solving capabilities, independence, creativity, resilience, and a sense of order. You are meticulous, with a sense of responsibility, and function well independently as well as in a group. Proficiency in written and spoken English is a demand. Your ability to absorb research training is a decisive factor.
The application (in English) should contain certified copies of all your academic courses and degrees, copies of your theses and any other relevant publications.
- CV (including telephone, email, current address and date of birth),
- Application letter (maximum four pages) containing descriptions of reasons for applying, compliance with the assessment criteria, expectations for the PhD studies and research plans relevant to the project,
- signed copies of documents containing grades of courses completed, signed copies of degrees awarded and proofs of the required basic qualifications and the other assessment criteria given above,
- a summary (maximum two pages) of the Master thesis,
- name and contact information (including title, affiliation, telephone, email address) of two references who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation,
Information about the research-level education, eligibility requirements, and admission regulations can be found at http://www2.medfarm.uu.se/utbildning/forskarniva/.
In accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance Chapter 5, §§ 1-7 and in Uppsala university's rules and guidelines a PhD education is 4 years (48 months) of full-time research and training at third-cycle level. Evaluation of the PhD student is on an annual basis following the general and the individual study plan. At most 20 % of teaching and/or administration can be included in the position and the position will be extended accordingly.
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
Salary: According to local agreement for PhD students.
Starting date: 2019-10-01
Type of Position: 100 %.
For further information about the position, please Contact: Dr Håkan Andersson, +46 723 287133, e-mail: email@example.com and Professor Ulf Göransson, +46 738 065539.
For further information about the employment please contact: Head of Department Anders Karlén, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application by 1 August 2019, UFV-PA 2019/2278.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Medicinal Chemistry
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fast lön
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2019/2278
Last application date: 2019-08-01
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.