Expert in antibiotic resistance
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
ReAct – Action on antibiotic resistance (www.reactgroup.org), is an international network dedicated to the problem of antibiotic resistance. ReAct was founded in 2005 and is now present on five continents, and works to raise awareness about antibiotic resistance and identify and advocate for political and technical approaches to manage the problem. Our focus is on low-and middle-income countries. ReAct works with a wide spectrum of actors, including international organisations, governments and civil society organisations to limit the negative consequences of antibiotic resistance.
ReAct Europe is hosted by Uppsala University and is currently looking for an expert in antibiotic resistance with the responsibility to quality assure our work and ensure that everything ReAct produces is scientifically correct. This position is based in Uppsala, Sweden, but the work includes collaborations with international organisations and ReAct’s international network partners in the US, Africa, Asia and Latin America.
To work with ReAct’s projects within the current workplan, which is developed every year after prioritization in coordination with the entire ReAct network. Responsibilities include:
- Critical assessment of literature on antibiotic resistance and continuous monitoring of scientific journals, media, scientific conferences and websites of relevant national and international institutions and organizations.
- Actively contribute in the strategic development of ReAct’s scientific work and to development of the scientific competence across the whole network.
- Ensure scientific accuracy of ReAct’s evidence-based policy documents, fact sheets and other products.
- Represent ReAct at national and international meetings.
- Translate scientific articles to more easily accessible policy messages when drafting newsletters and in other external forms of communication.
- Continuous updating of ReAct’s web-based resource repository “The ReAct Toolbox” (https://www.reactgroup.org/toolbox/) with tools and best practices relevant for working with antibiotic resistance in low- and middle-income countries.
- Assist in writing of scientific and popular science articles, funding applications etc.
- As ReAct is a flat organization and has a small core team, the work may also include some administrative tasks.
- An academic degree of at least Master in molecular biology, microbiology, medicine or pharmacy, with specialization on antibiotic resistance;
- At least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience;
- Comprehensive knowledge about antibiotics and resistance, including specific knowledge on mechanisms of resistance in bacteria and underlying genetic causes; how resistance is selected and spread in bacteria, in the environment, in society and globally and the factors contributing in the process; how antibiotics are used in health care, veterinary medicine and in food animal production; antibiotics and their alternatives; international initiatives to address antibiotic resistance; the global consequences of antibiotic resistance, particularly in low- and middle-income countries;
- A high level of proficiency in written and spoken English as the working language of ReAct is English;
- Documented experience of both oral and written communication like holding lectures, publications in scientific or popular science journals;
- Interest in working in a multicultural network and awareness of the challenges posed by working in a decentralized team;
- Flexibility and capability to function independently and with periodically short deadlines;
- Demonstrable skills in taking own initiatives and successfully driving projects.
- Ability to translate complex problems, independently and together with others, to easily understandable and audience specific messages.
- Ability to travel abroad to participate in meetings.
- Experience from teaching and strategic policy and advocacy work in the field of health.
- Skills in languages other than English, especially Spanish and Swedish.
- Previous experience working with global health issues as well as international experience, for example from international organizations or work in low- and middle-income countries.
We are passionate and engaged in the antibiotic resistance issue and are looking for someone that fits into our team. Special consideration will be placed on personal qualities such as being meticulous, ability to plan projects and keep deadlines, and being a good team player. We are looking for someone that shares ReAct’s values, see https://www.reactgroup.org/about-us/our-values-and-vision/.
ReAct offers a diverse and international working environment with ample possibilities for the right candidate to make a difference in one of the most urgent global challenges of our time. Please note that it is possible to live in Stockholm and commute to Uppsala.
Uppsala University strives to be an inclusive workplace that promotes equal opportunities and attracts qualified candidates who can contribute to the University’s excellence and diversity. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and from people of all backgrounds.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Type of employment: Full time, permanent position.
Working hours: 100 %.
For further information about the position please contact: Head of ReAct Europe, Anna Zorzet tel. 0709-949589, e-post email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 25 October, 2019, UFV-PA 2019/3309.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Medical Sciences
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Seko Universitetsklubben email@example.com
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2019/3309
Last application date: 2019-10-25
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.