Postdoctoral position at the Dep. of Cell- and molecular biology within the Elf research group
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 46.000 students, 7.300 employees and a turnover of SEK 7.3 billion.
The position is with the research group of Johan Elf. The Elf group works across the borders of conventional research disciplines to investigate life at the molecular level. We build physical models of central biological processes and develop different measurement methods to test these in living cells.
We are recruiting a postdoctoral researcher that wants to develop and use frontline methods for studying dynamic processes in living cells. We offer a stimulating interdisciplinary environment where you will work closely with experts in microbiology, microfluidics, biophysics, artificial intelligence, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Please see http://elflab.icm.uu.se/ for more information about our activities.
We offer projects in one or several of the following topics:
- Microbiology: Projects related to understanding the dynamics of regulation in bacteria, including transcription regulation, homologous recombination DNA repair, CRISPR target search, the translation process or the bacterial cell cycle. This topic can also include Tn- or CRISPR- screens with high content readouts. Background: molecular biology/microbiology.
- Biochemistry: Methods development for biochemical assays at high throughput sequencing platforms. Background: molecular-, or chemical biology.
- Deep learning: Image/Data analysis of single molecule data from images or other time series typically using deep learning and Bayesian inference techniques. Background: Mathematics/Physics.
- Microfluidics/Nanofabrication: Development of new ways to grow and manipulate microorganisms and chemical reactions in microfluidic devices. Background: engineering, nanotechnology.
- Single-molecule biophysics: Projects related to characterization of molecular dynamics in vitro or in vivo. Background: experimental biophysics.
- Polymer modeling: Modelling the 4D structure of the bacterial chromosome. Background: Physics or biophysics with a strong computational component.
Work description: You will do research within one or several of the areas outlined above. You will be involved in planning the project within the framework of the general goals and you will be in charge of the execution. You are very much encouraged to collaborate with the other researches in the team.
Requirements: To qualify for an employment as a postdoctor you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in molecular biology, biophysics/microbiology, chemical biology, mathematics, physics, engineering, nanotechnology, computational biology or equivalent. Your PhD degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application deadline. The three year period can be extended due to circumstances such as sick leave, parental leave, duties in labour unions, etc. The PhD needs to be completed before the start of the project but not necessarily at the time of application.
You must also have the following qualifications:
- A creative and self-motivated personality with interest in fundamental science or methods development.
- Strong publication record.
- Good team working skills.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Documented experience of solving complex scientific problems or methods development in at least one of the areas outlined above.
Your application should include
- Cover letter (max 1 page).
- CV including list of publications.
- Copy of official academic transcripts.
- Names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers for three reference persons.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: August 1st, 2020 or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position according to central collective agreement.
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Prof. Johan Elf firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +46-18-471 4678.
Please submit your application by June 1st 2020, UFV-PA 2020/1591.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University´s recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2020/1591
Last application date: 2020-06-01
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.