Assistant Professor in Computing Science, spec Programming Languages
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 46.000 students, 7.300 employees and a turnover of SEK 7.3 billion.
The Department of Information Technology provides education and research of the highest international quality. The department employs roughly 300 people, including more than 30 full professors, about 75 teachers and researchers, and about 130 PhD students. The department educates more than 4,600 students each year, and houses about 30 research teams. The strong research focus provides an excellent foundation for undergraduate education in the department. More info: http://www.it.uu.se/
Computing Science encompasses theories, principles, applications and techniques for the construction and implementation of software, and data representation. Our current research in this area includes design and implementation of programming languages, especially with respect to parallelism and concurrency, handling of large data volumes, including information extraction, combinatorial optimisation, formal methods and computer science didactics. More information at http://www.it.uu.se/research/computing_science. We have several close collaborations with researchers in Computer Systems, see http://www.it.uu.se/research/computer_systems, and are part of a new departmental initiative in AI, including machine learning.
Description of subject area of the employment: The subject area is computing science, with focus on programming language theory and programming language technology. This includes the design and implementation of programming languages, semantics of programming languages, programming platforms, compilers, and program analysis, including both theory and tool development.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Teaching programming, including theory and tools, is a significant part.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the University.
- The position may in the future include tasks in administration, management, and collaboration outside academia.
The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in computer science or corresponding research competence. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants must have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in technology and theory for programming languages.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in programming, including theory and tools.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
For further information about the position, please contact professor Joachim Parrow, telephone +46705733324, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at email@example.com.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than August 31, 2020, UFV-PA 2020/1775.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Information Technology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Individually negotiated salary.
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2020/1775
Last application date: 2020-08-31
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.