Associate senior lecturer in linguistics
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Linguistics and Philology is involved in research and education in a number of languages and language-related subjects and provides an international work environment. The department’s activities cover many of the classical and modern languages and cultures in large areas of Europe, Asia and Africa, as well as computational and general linguistics. Education is offered at the Bachelor, Master and PhD levels.
The Linguistics subject area of Uppsala University’s Department of Linguistics and Philology is seeking to fill one or more tenure track associate lectureships (Swedish biträdande lektor). Linguistics is a main subject area offering undergraduate and graduate level education as well as a PhD studies programme. Moreover, the subject area is actively engaged in the B.A. in Languages programme (språkvetarprogrammet), the speech-language pathology programme (logopedprogrammet), and the M.A. in Languages programme (masterprogrammet i språk). The education offered in linguistics has a mainly functional-typological orientation. Research in the subject area covers language history and diversity, descriptive linguistics, language documentation and typology, as well as child language acquisition, language impairment, bilingualism/multilingualism and second language acquisition.
In this call we are seeking one or more candidates with specialisation in either phonetics and phonology, or in child language and second language acquisition.
- Teaching, research and administration.
- Teaching responsibilities also include course administration, examination, and supervision at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- In research, the holder is expected to work together with and strengthen existing research groups in the subject area within the department and the faculty.
- Keeping up to date with developments in the subject area and societal changes relevant for working at the university.
- PhD in Linguistics or equivalent. Note that a degree in adjacent domains such as language teaching, translation, interpreting, or literature will not normally be considered an equivalent.
- Candidates will be given preference who were awarded their PhD within five years before the closing date of the call.
- Research expertise and teaching expertise. The candidate’s pedagogical skills, research expertise and professional skills must be relevant for the subject area (linguistics) and for the teaching and research duties of the position.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising ten weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in English is a requirement. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight. Expertise will be evaluated relative to opportunity, with allowances made for career breaks due to childcare, military service, and the like. All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope. In filling this position, the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
A candidate with specialization in phonetics and phonology will be expected to teach phonetics and phonology at an introductory level, as well as carry out teaching and supervision in linguistics at undergraduate and more advanced levels. Research experience in phonology/phonetic topics relevant to the current research foci of the subject area (e.g. language documentation, historical linguistics, first and second language acquisition, grammar and typology) will be considered as merits.
A candidate with specialization in child language and second language acquisition will be expected to teach courses in first- and second language acquisition and bilingualism, as well as carry out teaching and supervision in linguistics at undergraduate and more advanced levels. Research and teaching experience in psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics will be considered a merit, as will research experience in other current research foci of the subject area (e.g. language documentation, historical linguistics, grammar and typology).
A full application must be submitted through Uppsala University’s Varbi electronic recruitment system and include:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal letter
- List of attached appendices
- Summary of research qualifications
- Summary of teaching qualifications, with a reflective text on the applicant’s basic educational approach
- Summary of administrative and management qualifications
- Summary of collaboration qualifications
- List of publications
- Publications (max. 10)
Hard copies of any publications cited that are not available in electronic format and cannot be scanned must be sent, in duplicate, to the Faculty of Languages, Uppsala University, Box 256, SE–751 05 Uppsala. Write the following reference number on the envelope: UFV-PA 2021/85.
For further information, see the University’s Appointment Regulations and the Faculty’s supplementary guidelines.
Form of employment: The position of Associate Senior Lecturer may be held for a maximum of four years, with the possibility of promotion to Senior Lecturer. (Swedish Higher Education Ordinance, Chapter 4, Section 12a). A probationary period may apply.
Information about the position is available from Professor Joakim Nivre, email email@example.com or the Head of Department, Hans Svensson, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your application no later than 4 March 2021.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Linguistics and Philology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fast lön
Number of positions: 2
Working hours: 100
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/85
Last application date: 2021-03-04
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.