Assistant Professor in Intelligent Systems
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
Electrification and digitalisation are among the largest areas for the future in the conversion to sustainable societies. The Department of Electrical Engineering conducts successful research and education in the areas - renewable energy sources, electric vehicles, industrial IoT, 5G communication and wireless sensor networks as well as smart electronic sensors and medical systems. The Department of Electrical Engineering is an international workplace with around 130 employees that all contribute to important technical energy and health challenges at the Ångström Laboratory.
The position will be at the division of Signals and Systems at the Department of Electrical Engineering.
Description of subject area of the employment: Intelligent systems comprise dynamical systems which are fully or partially autonomous, possibly distributed and collaborative with capability to interact with the environment, and improve their properties and performance over time based on changes in the environment and with respect to new information.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. The holder is supposed to develop the departments research and education within the area intelligent dynamical systems and to develop collaboration with industrial parties.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- The position may include participation in some of the different research projects of the division within the areas Intelligent Systems, Signal Processing, Wireless Communications, and Automatic Control, as well as participating in the applications of external research funding and after some time, develop the capacity to attract external grants for his/her own research. The holder is expected to take part in and lead research projects together with relevant industrial partners.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in an area of relevance for the position or have the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, of which weight will be primarily given to research expertise.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in Intelligent Systems with emphasis on Cyber Physical Systems and their security and privacy aspects, but merits in related areas such as Signal Processing, Wireless Sensor Networks, Machine Learning, Automatic Control, and Communications Systems will also be considered important. Experience from collaboration with industrial partners and taking part in or leading research projects is considered an important merit as well experience from conducting research and studies abroad. Experience from international research collaborations, is also considered a merit.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise experience of developing and implementing courses for both large and small student groups is considered a merit. The Division of Signals and Systems is responsible for a large number of courses in the areas of Signal Processing, Wireless Communication, Automatic Control, Analog and Digital Electronics, and Embedded Measuring System in different engineering and master programs and teaching experience in these areas is therefore considered a merit.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact Professor Anders Ahlén, by phone +46184713076 or email, email@example.com.
Please submit your application by April 30, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/971.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Institutionen för elektroteknik
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/971
Last application date: 2021-04-30
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.