Postdoctoral researcher in computational metabolomics/lipidomics with a focus on precision medicine
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Medical Sciences is a large clinical institution with more than 250 employees and over 300 additional coworkers connected via the Uppsala University Hospital. The Department of Medical Sciences has a broad research profile with strong research groups in a number of different areas. The research carried out at the department is performed in close connection with the clinical activities at the Uppsala University Hospital, which includes both basic studies on the causes of a variety of illnesses and the development and evaluation of improved diagnostics and new treatment methods. More information about the Department of Medical Sciences can be found at www.medsci.uu.se
Project description: We are currently looking for a highly motivated postdoc to the research group of Assoc. Professor Kim Kultima. The focus of the project is to develop and apply bioinformatics methods for analyzing data from large-scale high-throughput mass spectrometry data for precision medicine. This will include analysis of data measured in case-control cohorts in multiple sclerosis and to study molecular mechanisms for pain and fatigue in fibromyalgia linked to autoimmunity. The general focus will be on how circulating metabolites and lipids, combined with knowledge about lifestyle, risk genes and other factors linked to disease progression and therapy outcomes, can ultimately lead to improved treatment strategies tailored for the individual patient. This includes using and developing unsupervised and supervised learning methods (AI/ML) through the integration of data from circulating molecules with complementary data from patients and controls, health registries, genetic analyses and lifestyle information. The work also includes planning, writing and presenting scientific works, contributing to the writing of research applications and some supervision (max. 20%) of master and PhD students.
You will be working closely together with bioinformaticians, technicians, chemists, mass spectrometry experts and preclinical and clinical researchers. The projects are funded through FOREUM, FORMAS, Marianne och Marcus Wallenbergs Foundation and Swedish Society for Medical Research.
Further information on the activity of the research groups can be found at:
- To qualify for an employment as a postdoc you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in bioinformatics, molecular biology, computer science or related field. The PhD degree must have been obtained no more than three years prior to the application deadline. The three-year period can be extended due to circumstances such as sick leave, parental leave, duties in labor unions, etc.
- Documented practical experience of statistical and bioinformatics analyses of mass spectrometry data particularly metabolomics, lipidomics and/or proteomics data
- Working knowledge of at least one scripting language such as R or Python
- Familiarity with cloud computing and/or HPC systems for processing and analyzing large-scale data
- Documented experience in compiling and publishing scientific articles in a related field
- Excellent skills in oral and written English are required
- Positive recommendations from previous supervisors/teachers are also a requirement
- We will attach great importance to personal suitability. Consideration will be given to good collaboration ability and drive, as well as how the applicant, through his or her experience and competence, is judged to complement and strengthen the ongoing research work within the research group and contribute to its future development.
Additional requirements: Knowledge or research experience of working with multiple sclerosis, inflammatory diseases or the understanding of the molecular basis of pain signaling is considered a merit.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: 01-05-2021 or as otherwise agreed.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
Type of position: Temporary position for two years.
For further information about the position please contact: Kim Kultima, email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 22 April 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1021.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Medical Sciences
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fast lön
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1021
Last application date: 2021-04-22
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.