Assistant Professor in electricity with specialization in electromagnetic energy converters
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
Electrification and digitalisation are among the largest areas for the future in the conversion to sustainable societies. The Department of Electrical Engineering conducts successful research and education in the areas - renewable energy sources, electric vehicles, industrial IoT, 5G communication and wireless sensor networks as well as smart electronic sensors and medical systems. The Department of Electrical Engineering is an international workplace with around 130 employees that all contribute to important technical energy and health challenges at the Ångström Laboratory.
In order to meet the needs for fossil-free transport, a shift towards electrification of the entire vehicle sector is currently underway. A central part of this change is the development of electric powertrains with associated charging infrastructure for different types of vehicles, this applies to ground transport as well as shipping and airborne transport.
The Department of Electrical Engineering is hiring an assistant professor in electrical engineering with a focus on electromagnetic energy converters for sustainable systems.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Primarily, teaching related to electric powertrains is included.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- The position may include writing research applications in the field and holding lectures for both the general public and the scientifically experienced audience.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfils the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD or have the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise in electrical engineering. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in in electrical machinery, in particular with regard to alternative materials for magnetizing permanently magnetized machines.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to experience of teaching in electrical machines.
Administrative Expertise is important for the employment and will be given consideration.
Collaboration Expertise is important and will be afforded consideration.
Other Expertise: Ability to collaborate nationally and internationally, as well as the ability to apply for funding in competition will be given importance. Experience of leading own projects is an advantage. Interest in pedagogical development is an advantage.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
Further information: In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
For further information about the position, please contact Karin Thomas (email@example.com)
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
Please submit your application by May 31 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1312.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Electrical Engineering
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1312
Last application date: 2021-05-31
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.