Assistant Professor in Physical Chemistry with specialization in Laser Spectroscopy
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
In the research program Physical Chemistry, we are conducting fundamental and goal-oriented research related to solar energy conversion, surface and colloid chemistry and chemical dynamics. Our research is very successful and we have a large share of externally funded national and international collaboration projects. A large fraction of our research is already related to solar cells and solar fuels, and with this announcement, we seek to broaden our research directions beyond these areas.
Description of subject area of the employment: Laser-spectroscopic methods are very important in physical chemistry of today and in the future, and there have been exciting developments during recent years. These methods are broadly applicable within physical chemistry, as well as broadly within chemistry and other areas of natural science, engineering and medicine. It is of strategic importance for us to strengthen our long-term competence around laser spectroscopy in physical chemistry, for both research an education. We are therefore seeking an Assistant Professor who does not duplicate the competence and direction we already have in the program, but who is yet able to work in synergy with the other activities of the program. The Assistant Professor should complement and broaden our competence and research profile, for example in areas that are on the boarder with biology and medicine.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- The position may include minor administrative duties, as the employee is expected to contribute in a collegial way to the research and educational environment in the Program, the Department and UU in general.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in Physical Chemistry, or the corresponding research competence or some other professional expertise. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, which will be given equal weight.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in both experimental and theoretical physical chemistry, specifically laser spectroscopy. Particular weight will be given to cross-disciplinary scientific merits, with applications in e.g. biology and medicine.
Teaching Expertise: comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in supervision and teaching in physical chemistry.
Management Expertise: is important and will be afforded high consideration, in particular the ability to build and lead an independent research group, recruit and supervise PhD students and postdocs, and attract external research grants.
Other Expertise: Documented ability to conduct successful scientific collaborations.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
Further information: In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Professor Leif Hammarström, +46 (0)704 25 08 32; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application by June 10, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1429.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Chemistry - Ångström Laboratory
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1429
Last application date: 2021-06-10
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.