The deadline for applying to this position has passed.
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology at Uppsala University (www.igp.uu.se) has a broad research profile with strong research groups focused on cancer, autoimmune and genetic diseases. A fundamental idea at the department is to stimulate translational research and thereby closer interactions between medical research and health care. Research is presently conducted in the following areas: medical and clinical genetics, clinical immunology, pathology, neuro-oncology, vascular biology, radiation science and molecular tools. Department activities are also integrated with the units for Oncology, Clinical Genetics, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Pathology, and Hospital Physics at Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala. The department has teaching assignments in several education programmes, including Master Programmes, at the Faculty of Medicine, and in a number of educations at the Disciplinary Domain of Science and Technology. The department has a yearly turnover of around SEK 450 million, out of which more than half is made up of external funding. The staff amounts to approximately 345 employees, out of which 100 are PhD-students, and there are in total more than 700 affiliated people.
A research assistant position is available for highly motivated individuals with interest in single cell biology join the unit of molecular tools at Uppsala University, Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology. The person would be supervised under Dr. Xingqi Chen.
The goal is to develop state-of-art single cell technology and understand the cell fate decision during human disease. To understand the molecular mechanism of tumorigenesis and design better target therapies for the solid tumor, we need to decipher the single cell spatial epigenetic maps of the solid tumor microenvironment. We will use a novel strategy to develop new technology and decipher the single cell spatial chromatin accessibility profiling in the solid tissue. Eventually, we will generate a user-friendly toolbox and platform for the scientific community to understand the cell fate decision in the basic solid tumor research as well as for use in future clinical diagnosis.
- The main responsibility for the person is to make NGS sequencing libraries routinely, and check the quality of libraries with NGS sequencing.
- The position may also include some writing of academic texts, as well as some administrative tasks.
- The applicant should have MSc degree in a bioinformatics, biotechnology or similar field.
- Strong merits would be experience in single cell or bulk ATAC-seq data mining, functional genomics, Linux terminal programming, R and Python or other computer language programming and good knowledge of mathematics, biology and computer science.
- Candidates must be able to express themselves very well in spoken as well as written English. Students who don’t have a Nordic university degree or English as their native language must take a “Test of English as a Foreign Language”, (TOEFL), alternatively an IELTS test (”International English Language Testing System”).
- Strong background in molecular biology and cell biology.
- Previous experience in FFPE tissue sequencing.
- Great emphasis is placed upon good communication skills as well as commitment to inclusion, equality and diversity.
- Great emphasis will also be placed on personal qualities such as initiative, problem-solving ability, flexibility and the ability to work together.
- Documented teaching and other pedagogical work.
- Very strong merit would be good record in main author or co-author publication in functional genomics.
Salary: Individual salary.
Starting date: 01-07-2021 or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position ending 30-06-2022
Scope of employment: 100%
For further information about the position please contact:
Xingqi Chen, email@example.com, 018-471 4072
Please submit your application by May 7, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1054.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Individual salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1054
Last application date: 2021-05-07
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.