Expert/advisor in global health
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
ReAct (www.reactgroup.org) is an international network dedicated to the problem of antibiotic resistance and its consequences. ReAct is funded by Sida and coordinated by Uppsala University. ReAct was founded in 2005 and is now active on five continents with regional offices in the USA, Africa, Asia and Latin America. We work to increase knowledge about the antibiotic resistance problem and to identify political and technical solutions that are based on a system perspective where we see sustainable access to effective antibiotics as a global development issue. Our advocacy work is aimed at various actors, including decision-makers at national and global level, international organizations, and civil society organizations. ReAct runs a web-based "Toolbox" with tools aimed to facilitate different actors’ work to implement national action plans on antibiotic resistance in low- and middle-income countries (www.reactgroup.org/toolbox). More about ReAct's can be found at https://www.reactgroup.org/.
ReAct Europe belongs to the Department of Medical Sciences at Uppsala University, which is a large clinical department with about 250 employees and over 300 people who are connected via Akademiska hospital. More about the department's activities can be found at www.medsci.uu.se.
We are now looking for a new member of our team who will contribute to our scientific and policy-oriented work. The position will be based in Uppsala, but because our advocacy work often targets international organizations, the EU-institutions and include close cooperation with ReActs regional offices, the work includes travel abroad and the working language is English.
Working within ReAct's projects in accordance with the current work plan, which is revised annually after prioritization within the network. Duties may include:
- Contributing to the scientific and policy work according to the needs of the current work plan.
- Following the international policy debate related to antibiotic resistance and other relevant areas such as global access to medicines.
- Reviewing existing literature in the field of antibiotic resistance (scientific journals, media, scientific conferences, etc.)
- Communication work such as writing scientific and popular scientific articles, newsletters and other types of external communication materials, as well as helping to develop policy recommendations.
- Analyzing relevant documents and producing position articles for ReAct, based on ReAct's vision and values and experiences from our nodes.
- Assisting in the maintenance of and contributing to the strategic development of ReAct’s ToolBox by adding content, and contributing to the outreach work to promote the use of the ToolBox.
- Contributing to the strategic and organisational development of ReAct's work in the entire network, e.g. the annual work planning, the development of long term strategies and writing grant applications for ReAct.
- Represent ReAct at national and international meetings.
- Responsible for reporting parts of ReAct's work to funders.
- As the team is relatively small, everyone is expected to help out with smaller administrative tasks.
- Academic degree (minimum Master's degree) in global health, pharmacy, medicine, molecular biology, microbiology, political science, communication or other relevant field.
- Good knowledge of and experience of work on health issues, infectious diseases and/or antibiotic resistance.
- Interest in working in a multicultural network and awareness of the challenges posed by working in a decentralized team.
- Good professional skills in English (spoken and written).
- Good experience of communicative work, especially written communication eg. publications in scientific or popular science journals, policy reports, websites/blogs, or op-ed articles.
- Flexibility and capability to function independently and with periodically short deadlines.
- You take own initatives and have experience of running your own projects.
- You should be able to distill complex problems, alone and in collaboration with others, into easy-to-understand and tailored messages.
- Possibility and interest in duty travel.
- Skills in languages other than English, especially Spanish and Swedish.
- Experience to interact with, engage and advocate towards politicians and other decision makers, NGOs and international organizations.
- Experience of research and policy work, preferably in the health area.
- International experience, especially from low- and middle-income countries.
We are passionate and committed to the issue and we are looking for someone who fits into our team. Great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities such as ability to take own initiatives, ability to plan and structure your work, ability to collaborate and personal drive. We would like you to identify with ReAct's values, see: https://www.reactgroup.org/about-us/our-va lues-and-vision/.
ReAct offers a varied working environment, with great opportunities for the right candidate to make their own mark on an important issue. Please note that it is possible to live in Stockholm and commute to Uppsala.
We prefer applications in English.
Salary: Individual salary setting is applied.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary employment 2 years.
Scope of employment: 100 %.
Further information about the position is provided by: Andreas Sandgren, Director ReAct Europe, 0730-48 55 86, email@example.com.
Please submit your application by May 20, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1651.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Medical Sciences
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Individual salary setting is applied
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1651
Last application date: 2021-05-20
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.