Assistant Professor in Molecular Biology with specialization in Eukaryotic Protein Synthesis
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (ICM) consists of seven research programs specializing in the following areas: computational biology and bioinformatics, microbiology, molecular biology, molecular biophysics, molecular evolution, molecular systems biology and structural biology. The department has over 200 employees, of which about 70 are doctoral students. Please read more about ICM at http://www.icm.uu.se.
Description of the program: The molecular biology program has a long history of research on protein synthesis where the focus has been on the molecular mechanisms of various steps and ribosome-inhibiting antibiotics, studied with fast kinetics combined with molecular biology, chemical biology, mathematical modelling and structures. Please read more at https://www.icm.uu.se/molecular-biology.
Description of subject area of the employment: The main subject area is protein synthesis, a central process for all living cells. Candidates intending to conduct research particularly in the eukaryotic translation process are invited to apply. The studies should primarily employ the techniques in molecular biology and biochemistry, but may also use structural biology (cryo-EM and crystallography) and computational biology tools.
- Teaching, research and administration, with research as the most important duty. Teaching duties include course responsibility, course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. Teaching responsibility in the undergraduate level will be at the highest 25%.
- Following developments within the subject area and the development of society in general, are important for the work at the university.
- The position may include administrative assignments concerning undergraduate education as well as postgraduate education at the Faculty.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board, he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in Molecular Biology / Biochemistry / Biophysics or equivalent scientific competence or other professional expertise. Applicants must have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence within five years prior to the end of the application period.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training relevant to operations at the University, comprising course/s of minimum five weeks, or have acquired an equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education should be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in English or Swedish is a requirement unless special reasons prevail. The holder is expected to be able to teach in Swedish within two years from the time of recruitment.
- Personal capacities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, of which weight will be primarily given to research expertise.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise, research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, with regard to depth and breadth, must also be considered. In assessing research expertise, special weight will be attached to research merits in eukaryotic protein synthesis, in particular mechanisms and applications. For that, the research plan, relevant experience as well as technical competence demonstrated by previous publications in the field of the planned research will be considered.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise, teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be considered. While assessing the pedagogical skills, special emphasis will be given on the experience of teaching in molecular biology or biochemistry and /or equivalent subjects. Supervision of doctoral students or master's / bachelor students will be considered as an additional teaching merit.
Administrative Expertise is important for the employment. Administrative expertise is demonstrated, for example, through the capacity to plan, organise, and prioritise work in an efficient and task-related manner as well as through the ability to assign and observe time frames.
Collaboration Expertise is important. Popular science works and public debate and lectures are different examples of collaborations with the surrounding society. Other examples are patent applications, commercialization and industrial collaboration. Also, facilitating knowledge exchange with the surrounding society is a plus.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
Further information: In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or similar are to be regarded as work experience.
For further information about the position, please contact: Prof. Suparna Sanyal, Telephone +46-737806426, E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Starting date: As soon as possible or as otherwise agreed.
Type of employment: Temporary position six years.
Scope of employment: 100 %
Please submit your application by October 15 2021, UFV-PA 2021/1784.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/1784
Last application date: 2021-10-15
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.