Policy expert in global health and antibiotic resistance
The deadline for applying to this position has passed.
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
ReAct (www.reactgroup.org) is an international network focusing on antibiotic resistance. The network is financed by Sida (the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency) and coordinated from Uppsala University. ReAct was founded in 2005 and today we are based on five continents with offices in North America, Africa, Asia and Latin America. We work in a multidisciplinary team which include expertise ranging from physicians and microbiologists to journalists and communicators. We believe sustainable access to effective antibiotics for all is a global development and equity issue, and we work to create political momentum to address it. To achieve this we advocate towards governments, governing bodies within the EU and the UN, and other international and regional organisations. We also support implementation of national action plans on antibiotic resistance by collaborating with a broad set of actors including international organisations, governments and civil society organisations. ReAct works spans from local grassroot level, to producing evidence-based data and arguments for use at the highest political levels. You can read more about ReAct on our website: www.reactgroup.org
ReAct Europe is formally part of the Department of Medical Sciences which is a clinical department with about 250 staff and an additional 300 people affiliated through Uppsala University Hospital. You can read more about the work of the department here: www.medsci.uu.se.
ReAct is currently looking for a Senior Policy Expert to join our team in Uppsala, Sweden, to support our policy and advocacy work. As much of our work targets international organisations, EU institutions and we collaborate closely with our regional nodes, the position includes international travel. Our working language is English.
Tasks and duties include:
- Being responsible for identifying and analysing important policy documents and support the development of ReAct’s policy positions and recommendations on important topics such as access to medicine, global governance, sustainable financing for health and strengthening of health systems.
- Identify important political processes and support the development and implementation of advocacy strategies towards relevant external actors.
- Actively support the strategic development and development of skills within ReAct’s network; e.g. annual planning, development of long-term strategies and funding applications.
- Support our external communication work, for example writing of opinion pieces, newsletters etc.
- Represent ReAct in national and international meetings.
- Academic degree (MA) in global health, medicine, political science, communication or other relevant areas.
- At least 5 years of experience with political advocacy and engagement of other relevant actors, such as NGOs and international organisations.
- Good knowledge and understanding of global health issues, infectious diseases and/or antibiotic resistance.
- Interest in working in a multicultural network and comfortable with working in a decentralized team.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written)
- Experience of communications work – in particular written communication such as articles, policy reports, website/blogging and opinion pieces.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently and towards short deadlines
- Own-initiative and experience in driving and managing own projects
- Experience in doing advocacy towards the EU-institutions
- International experience - in particular from low and middle-income countries.
- Experience with writing funding applications Knowledge of other languages - in particular Swedish and Spanish.
ReAct Europe’s team is small, passionate and prestige-less and we are looking for someone that fits in well. We are looking for someone with great initiative, planning and collaborative skills. The candidate should also identify with ReAct’s values and mission. Read more here: https://www.reactgroup.org/about-us/our-values-and-vision/.
Application: please submit a CV and a personal letter elaborating on how you match the job
Salary: Individual salary setting
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Position: 100%, temporary position until 2023-06-3
Please direct any questions about the position to: Helle Aagaard, Deputy Director ReAct Europe, tel: 070-232 73 60, Email: email@example.com.
Deadline for applying: November 29, 2021, UFV-PA 2021/4258.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Medical Sciences
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/4258
Last application date: 2021-11-29
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.