1-2 Researchers in Biophysics
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology at Uppsala University is one of Europe’s most international, interdisciplinary, and successful research departments in molecular biosciences. The department's research is divided into six research programs covering everything from cell biology to biophysics and structural biology.
The advertised positions are with the research group of Johan Elf. The Elf group works across the borders of conventional research disciplines to investigate life at the molecular level. We build physical models of central biological processes and develop measurement methods to test these in living cells.
We are recruiting 1-2 senior researchers that want to develop and use frontline methods for studying dynamic processes in living cells using microfluidics, optics and/or deep learning techniques. We offer a stimulating interdisciplinary environment where you will work closely with experts in synthetic biology, microbiology, microfluidics, biophysics, artificial intelligence, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Please see http://elflab.icm.uu.se/ for more information about our activities.
We have available projects in one or ideally a combination of the following topics:
- Microfluidics/Nanofabrication, fluidics and interfaces with the macroscopic world: Development of new ways to grow and control microorganisms and chemical reactions in microfluidic devices. Background: engineering, nanotechnology, programing.
- Optics and electronics: Development of optical instruments to image and manipulate cells in microfluidic devices. Background: Optics engineering, electric engineering, hardware-software integration.
- Deep learning: Image/Data analysis of single-cell/single-molecule data from images or other time series typically using deep learning and Bayesian inference techniques. Background: Deep learning, Programming, Mathematics, Physics.
You will do research within one or several of the areas outlined above. You will be involved in planning the project within the framework of the general goals of the lab and you will be in charge of the execution. You are encouraged to collaborate with the other researchers in the team.
To qualify for the employment, you must have a PhD degree or a foreign degree equivalent to a PhD degree in biophysics, mathematics, physics, engineering, optics, nanotechnology, computer science or equivalent, and two years or more of postdoctoral research experience in one or preferably several of the topics described above.
You must also have the following qualifications:
- A creative and self-motivated personality with an interest in fundamental science or methods development.
- Good team working skills.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Strong publication record or other proof of scientific skill and maturity.
- Documented experience in solving complex scientific problems or methods development in at least one of the areas outlined above.
Your application should include:
- Cover letter (max 1 page).
- CV including list of publications.
- Copy of official academic transcripts.
- Names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers for three reference persons.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position of two years. Scope of employment 100%. Starting date 2022-03-01 or as agreed. Placement: Uppsala.
Please submit your application by January 20th 2022, UFV-PA 2021/4398.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Individual salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/4398
Last application date: 2022-01-20
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.