Doctoral student positions at the Faculty of Law
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 45,000 students, more than 7,000 employees and a turnover of around SEK 7 billion.
The Faculty of Law at Uppsala University invites applications for five doctoral student positions. An employed doctoral student must primarily devote his or her time to his or her own doctoral research. Other duties at the faculty may be included, such as teaching students, working in teaching teams, and administration (no more than 20% of the position). A requirement for employment as a doctoral candidate is that the applicant must have been admitted to doctoral studies. The regulations governing the employment of doctoral candidates and admittance to doctoral studies are found in Chapter 5, Sections 1-7, and Chapter 7, Sections 34-41, of the Higher Education Ordinance, and in the general study plan for doctoral studies at the Faculty of Law, Uppsala University.
In order to be admitted to doctoral studies, the applicant is required to meet the following qualifications. To qualify as applicant with the Faculty of Law, the applicant must either
- 1) in Sweden, have completed a Master of Laws degree or completed a law programme, or
- 2) in Sweden or abroad, have acquired knowledge equivalent to the degrees mentioned in 1). In evaluating whether the knowledge is sufficient, consideration must be given to what is required to successfully benefit from the doctoral programme in the specific subject
Applicants must have an adequate knowledge of Swedish or English.
The overall purpose of the doctoral studies is to provide future newly qualified doctors of laws with good prospects for a successful career within or outside of higher education. This includes in-depth knowledge of the chosen subject in the field of research, a capacity for independent and critical thinking, proficiency in scientific methods and modes of working, an ability to identify interesting and researchable issues, teaching skills and the ability to express himself or herself well both orally and in writing, an ability to operate in an international context and an ability to understand and deal with ethical issues concerning research.
Admission is based on an evaluation of the applicant’s capacity to successfully complete the doctoral studies. The evaluation is primarily focused on the project description as well as the scientific written material (published or not published). Analytical ability, ability to structure the material and to independently work on the proposed project, and the project’s news value, are paramount. In addition to the written material, other merits, such as grades, diplomas, completed courses, etc., may also be of importance in the assessment. Further, the applicant’s capacity to cooperate in different ways, e.g. with teaching colleagues, may be taken into consideration as well as the Faculty’s needs to recruit doctoral candidates in all subject areas.
Your application including the below required attachments is to be electronically submitted.
- Project description in Swedish or English (required document). The project description should include the research question(s) of the proposed research, the relationship between the research topic and the relevant area of research, research already undertaken in this field, a reflection upon material and method, a time plan, and the possible scientific value and contribution of the proposed project. The project description must comprise no more than 35,000 characters including spaces (approximately ten A4-pages).
- Popular summary in Swedish or English (required document).The project summary must include a brief popular summary in Swedish or English, no longer than 2,000 characters including spaces.
- CV in Swedish or English (required document)
- Grade transcripts (required document) and other certificates in Swedish or English
- Written scientific work (electronic copy of books, articles, undergraduate essays, manuscripts, etc.)
- A letter of recommendation and/or references, for instance from a potential supervisor at the Faculty of Law in Uppsala, a former lecturer or employer
- Application forms for admission to doctoral studies, and employment as a doctoral student. Please note that those already admitted to doctoral studies must attach an updated individual study plan to the application for employment as a doctoral student.
Decisions on admissions are made by the Research Committee at the Faculty of Law upon preparation by an evaluation committee specifically set up for this purpose. As part of the admission procedure, interviews may be held with a limited number of applicants.
Decisions on employment are made by the Head of Department. A person may be employed as a doctoral student for a maximum of eight years, but no longer than the equivalent of four years of full-time doctoral research. For teaching within the employment, extension is admitted.
Rules governing PhD students are set out in the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5, §§ 1-7 and in Uppsala University's rules and guidelines http://regler.uu.se/?languageId=1.
Salary: According to local agreement for PhD students.
Starting date: 01-09-2022 or according to agreement.
Type of employment: Temporary position according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5 § 7.
Scope of employment: 100 %
For further information about the position please contact: Martin Berglund, Director of Studies, email: email@example.com, phone: +46 18 471 20 62.
You are welcome to submit your application, including required documents, no later than 1 March 2022, UFV-PA 2021/4827.
Only complete applications will be taken into consideration. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? If so, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus. You are also welcome to contact International Faculty and Staff Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Law
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 5
Working hours: 100 %
County: Uppsala län
Seko Universitetsklubben email@example.com
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2021/4827
Last application date: 2022-03-01
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.