Assistant Professor in Computer Science with a specialization in Formal Verification
Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our ultimate goal is to conduct education and research of the highest quality and relevance to make a long-term difference in society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has over 54,000 students, more than 7,500 employees and a turnover of around SEK 8 billion.
The Department of Information Technology has a leading position in research and education, including world-leading research activities in formal verification and testing. The Department currently has about 300 employees, including 120 teachers and 110 PhD students. More than 4000 students study one or more courses each year at the department, which hosts over 30 research groups . More info: http://www.it.uu.se
Description of subject area of the employment: Formal verification, within at least one of the following areas: verification of parallel, concurrent, and distributed programs; verification of smart contracts and blockchain systems; verification of machine learning algorithms and systems; application of machine learning techniques to program verification; verification of quantum computing algorithms; program synthesis and repair; application of formal verification and testing techniques to problems in cybersecurity.
- Teaching, research and administration. Teaching duties include course responsibility and course administration and supervision of second- and third-cycle students. The assistant professor is expected to contribute to teaching and course development in the area of formal verification, in both basic and advanced courses.
- Follow developments within the subject area and the development of society in general that is important for the work at the university.
- Extend and strengthen current research on verification at the division. This includes applying for external funding, (co-)supervising PhD students, and also expanding the current research, teaching and public engagement activities in the verification area.
- To initiate and contribute to collaborations between research groups, within the department as well as with other departments at Uppsala University.
Appointment Period: The position can be held for a maximum of six years. An Assistant Professor can apply for promotion to Associate Professor. If the Assistant Professor is deemed suitable and fulfills the criteria for promotion established by the Faculty Board he/she shall be promoted to and employed as Associate Professor.
- PhD in Computer Science or have the corresponding competence. Applicants who have obtained a PhD degree or achieved the equivalent competence in five years or less prior to the end of the application period will be given priority.
- Research Expertise and Teaching Expertise. It is necessary that the pedagogical skills, the research expertise and the professional skills are relevant to the content of the employment and the tasks that will be included in the employment.
- Applicants should have completed teacher training of relevance to operations at the University, comprising five weeks, or have acquired the equivalent knowledge. If special circumstances apply, this training for teachers in higher education may be completed during the first two years of employment.
- Documented ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement unless special reasons prevail.
- Personal capabilities necessary to carry out fully the duties of the appointment.
Assessment Criteria/Ranking of applicants that fulfil the above-mentioned qualifications required
The ranking of eligible applicants will be based primarily on research and teaching expertise, of which weight will be primarily given to research expertise.
Research Expertise comprises research merits as well as the applicant´s potential to contribute to the future development of both research and teaching. In assessing research expertise research quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of research, primarily in regard to depth and breadth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing research expertise special weight will be attached to research merits in the subject area of the position, with current research excellence, as demonstrated by recent publications in leading conferences and journals, within at least one of the following topics in formal verification: verification of parallel, concurrent, and distributed programs; verification of smart contracts and blockchain systems; verification of machine learning algorithms and systems; application of machine learning techniques to program verification; verification of quantum computing algorithms; program synthesis and repair; application of formal verification techniques to problems in cybersecurity. Demonstrated independence from the Ph.D. advisors, collaboration with industry or society, and a demonstrated ability to earn research grants competitively will be given merit but is not an absolute requirement.
Teaching Expertise comprises educational and teaching qualifications. In assessing teaching expertise teaching quality must be the prime consideration. The scope of teaching experience, in terms of both breadth and depth, must also be afforded consideration. In assessing teaching expertise special weight will be attached to merits in modeling, verification, testing, and cyber-security.
Collaboration Expertise is important and will be afforded consideration. Collaborative expertise is demonstrated by the ability and skill of planning, organizing and implementing interaction with the surrounding community. Popular publications, public debate and lectures are examples of forms of interaction with the surrounding community. Other examples of collaboration are patent applications, commercialization and industrial cooperation. The ability to translate knowledge sharing with the surrounding community into activities of importance to the education's development and quality is part of the collaboration expertise.
All merits must be documented in a manner that makes it possible to assess both quality and scope.
In filling this position the university aims to appoint the applicant who, following a qualitative holistic assessment of her/his competence and expertise, is judged to have the best potential to carry out and develop the relevant duties and to help advance operations.
Further information: In an overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, parental leave, part-time work relating to care of children, union assignments, military service, or the like are to be regarded as work experience.
Type of position: Temporary full-time position six years.
Salary: Individually negotiated salary.
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
Starting date: 2022-09-15 or as otherwise agreed
Please submit your application by June 21 2022, UFV-PA 2022/472.
In the event of any disagreement between the English and the Swedish versions of this announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
If you are an international candidate, you will find a lot of information about working and living in Sweden at www.uu.se/joinus.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services.
Submit your application through Uppsala University's recruitment system.
Placement: Department of Information Technology
Type of employment: Full time , Temporary position longer than 6 months
Pay: Fixed salary
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2022/472
Last application date: 2022-06-21
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.