Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to interact constructively with society. Our most important assets are all the individuals whose curiosity and dedication make Uppsala University one of Sweden’s most exciting workplaces. Uppsala University has 44.000 students, 7.100 employees and a turnover of SEK 7 billion.
within the framework of a NORFACE funded research project, at the Department of Sociology. (Full time with 20% departmental teaching.) Planned start date of employment is March 1, 2014.
The Project ‘Understanding the Practice and Developing the Concept of Welfare-Bricolage (UPWEB)’ is part of the NORFACE-Research-Network ‘The Future of Welfare States’ and connects researchers in Great Britain, Sweden, Portugal and Germany. The project will reconceptualise welfare theory by mapping how residents of two superdiverse neighbourhoods put together their formal and informal, on-line and practical health and welfare support.
- Coordinating research activities between the Uppsala-based project, the international UPWEB partners and the wider NORFACE-network
- Designing and conducting ethnographic case studies in two superdiverse urban neighbourhoods in Uppsala
- Recruiting community researchers and organizing their training
- Coordinating community researchers and Masters student researchers in the ethnographic case study work
- Interpreting ethnographic data with ATLAS-ti
- Further developing the research concept ‘welfare bricolage’
- Conceptualizing and organizing workshops and conferences
- Preparing and writing up results for peer reviewed publications
- Doctorate addressing a research question from sociology of health & illness, sociology of migration or diversity, social policy, urban or welfare studies, medical anthropology, transcultural studies, public health or related field
- Experience in qualitative health research, ethnography, or mixed methods surveys
- Strong methodological skills and interest in collaborative and interdisciplinary forms of knowledge production
- Good understanding of Swedish welfare system and society
- Good command of Swedish and English, both written and oral
- Evidence of excellent organisational and communication skills
- Additional language skills, used among Swedish populations for instance but not confined to: Polish, Turkish, Arabic, Somali.
- Previous research or practical knowledge with new media, mobile app development and social media.
- Experience of cross-disciplinary and/or comparative work.
- Experience of teaching sociology at university level.
In filling this position, the university aims to recruit the person who, in a combined evaluation of competence, skills and documented qualifications, is judged most suitable to carry out and develop the work-in-hand and to contribute to the positive development of the research project.
How to apply: The application should include 1) letter of application describing research interests (max 1000 words), 2) CV and list of publications, 3) copy of the PhD certificate, 4) names and contact information (address, email address, and phone number) of at least two referees, 5) copies of up to three relevant publications.
The application must be written in English.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Hannah Bradby, email@example.com, phone + 46 18-4711501. For general information about the department please contact the Head of the Department, Professor Patrik Aspers, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone + 46 18-4715191. For administrative issues please contact administrative coordinator Helena Olsson, email@example.com, phone + 46 18-4715185
You are welcome to submit your application no later than December 31st 2014, UFV-PA UFV-PA 2014/3570. Use the link below to access the application form.
Please do not send offers of recruitment or advertising services. Applications must be submitted as described in this advertisement.
Placement: Department of Sociology
Type of employment: Full time , Permanent position
Number of positions: 1
Working hours: 100%
County: Uppsala län
Carin Söderhäll, TCO/ST
Per Sundman, Saco-rådet 018-471 1485
Stefan Djurström, Seko 018-471 3315
Number of reference: UFV-PA 2014/3570
Last application date: 2014-12-31
HR Excellence in Research
The HR Excellence in Research logo is a seal of quality that lets you know Uppsala University is committed to implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
As an employee at Uppsala University, you receive a number of great benefits. Here we have listed the most important ones.