Medical and health insurance

Before you arrive in Sweden, we recommend you review your insurance coverage. The insurance policies provided by Uppsala University may not cover all your needs, and therefore we strongly advise you read the insurance chapter thoroughly, so that you are aware of what insurance coverage you may need.

Personal injury insurance for doctoral students and employees

All registered doctoral students and employees at Uppsala University are covered by personal injury insurance during study/work hours and when travelling directly between the place of residence and the place where study/work hours are spent.

For university employees there is also a complementary personal injury insurance called PSA (Personal Injury Agreement, personskadeavtal). The insurance company AFA pays compensation for loss of income, expenses, and physical and mental suffering. Read the policy conditions at AFA Insurance.

Staying in Sweden more than one year

A personal identity number (personnummer) is normally given to anyone who will be staying in Sweden for one year or more. The number gives you access to reduced costs in the Swedish health and medical care system. All you have to do is provide your personal identity number whenever you visit a clinic or hospital. Read more about personal identity numbers in the section Register with the Swedish Tax Agency.

Staying in Sweden less than one year

EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens are strongly advised to bring their European health insurance card. The card gives you the right to necessary health care to reduced costs. For EU/EEA citizens who do not qualify for a European health insurance card, necessary health care will be covered by Uppsala University’s FUB insurance (see below). Please note that EU/EEA citizens on stipends are entitled only to necessary health care.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

If you are a citizen from a non-EU/EEA country, the FUB insurance will cover costs for necessary health care during your stay in Sweden (see below). 

Insurance for foreign visitors (FUB)

All international employees, scholarship holders, doctoral students and accompanying family members are covered by a group insurance policy, the Insurance for Foreign Visitors (Försäkring för Utländska Besökare, FUB). The insurance policy covers accidents, sickness, dental care, emergency home transportation, liability, legal rights, and property.

The FUB insurance is mainly intended for persons staying less than one year in Sweden.

Read the full policy conditions at Kammarkollegiet.

Last modified: 2021-01-27