Register with the Swedish Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) handles the population register, ID cards and taxation in Sweden.

Population Register

If you are staying in Sweden for one year or more, you should register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency. Once you do so, you may be entitled to Swedish social and health-care benefits. You will receive a unique 10-digit Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). You will be able to use this number to simplify a range of transactions in Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, taking out home insurance, and visiting a doctor.

To become registered in the Swedish population register, you must apply in person. The required documents to bring to the Tax Agency office depend on your citizenship or if you move with or move in with your family member. Prepare your visit by filling in the tax office's "Move to Sweden" service.

More information about population registration and what documents to bring

Visiting address in Uppsala: Kungsängsvägen 31c (Mon-Fri 10-16). From 10 August 2020, you must book an appointment in advance

Visiting address in Visby (Gotland): Artillerigatan 11 (Mon-Fri 10-16).

Last modified: 2021-10-07