Traces of history
Uppsala University's long history can be seen in, among other things, various phenomena and symbols that occur at academic festivities.
Since 1663, Uppsala University has had a Department of Riding where students and employees can practice horse riding. In the 17th century, students were to be educated in so-called exercitia, or practical subjects. These practical subjects also included French, Spanish, Italian, fencing, dance, music and drawing.
At the beginning of the 17th century, the University started to use a symbol in the form of two silver spires, to express the University's independence. Today, the spires are carried by the vice-chancellor's ceremonial guards during academic festivities.
Another symbol is the vice-chancellor's chain that king Oscar II donated to the university and which the vice-chancellor carries at the inaugaration of professors and other ceremonies.
The maxim “To think freely is great, to think righlty is greater”
Engraved in golden letters above the entrance to the Grand Auditorium of the University Main Building in Uppsala you find the words “To think freely is great, but to think rightly is greater” (In Swedish Tänka fritt är stort men tänka rätt är större).