Incoming exchange students

In order to attend Uppsala University as an exchange student, your home university must have a current formal exchange agreement with Uppsala University. To find out if this applies to you, your first port of call should be the exchange officer at your department or the international office at your home university.

Exchange agreements

If you are interested in coming to study an exchange period at Uppsala University the single most important question you can ask is: "Is there an exchange agreement with my university?". The only way that you can participate in an exchange is if there is an official agreement. Uppsala University does not accept students outside of these agreements. Many universities around the world, in addition to their exchange programmes, have programmes whereby students can undertake studies outside of specific exchange agreements. We do not have such an arrangement at Uppsala University.

If your university does not have an agreement with Uppsala University you should talk to your own international office about what other universities your university has agreements with, or about developing an agreement with Uppsala University.

If there is no exchange agreement between your university and Uppsala University, you have several other options. You may wish to apply for freestanding courses and attend Uppsala University as a freemover. Or, you may be interested in applying for one of our many Master programmes taught in English once you have completed your Bachelor's studies degree.

University-wide agreements

The Division for Internationalisation at Uppsala University administers the university-wide agreements. Most of these agreements are outside of EU in North America, Australia, Asia and more but some are within the EU and are also administered centrally through Erasmus+ and Nordplus (Nordlys only). 

If you have any questions regarding exchange studies through university-wide agreements at Uppsala University, send an email to the Unit for International Mobility,

Departmental agreements

Many departments have their own departmental agreements and international coordinators, and some of the larger departments may even have their own international office. If you are coming to Uppsala University on a departmental exchange then you will likely have most of your contact with your exchange coordinator at the department. Contact your exchange coordinator at your home university to find out more.

Last modified: 2021-07-21