Syllabus for Wind Power Basics
Vindkraft - grundkurs
- 7.5 credits
- Course code: 1GV114
- Education cycle: First cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Wind Power Project Management G1N
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Established: 2016-03-10
- Established by:
- Revised: 2018-08-30
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2019
- Entry requirements: General entry requirements
- Responsible department: Department of Earth Sciences
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- find and evaluate information on wind power on the Internet
- describe the essential functions of a wind turbine's components
- estimate the power production of a wind turbine
- describe the economics related to wind power
- give a general account of the regulations concerning environmental impact and describe the environmental impact of wind power locally, nationally and globally
- describe the permit process briefly for a wind power project
This course provides basic knowledge on wind power, including wind power development, technology, wind energy and grid connection. In addition calculation methods for wind energy production and economic calculations, environmental impact, laws and regulations are studied. The gained knowledge is applied in a final project assignment where the student describes an existing or planned wind power project.
The course is given as a net-based course. Assignments are submitted in the e-classroom on Internet and the student will receive personal feedback by the teacher. The course also includes other mandatory exercises. A forum for discussion is available.
Written hand-in assignments, and participation in other type of exercises, 6 credits.
A written project assignment , 1.5 credits.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
The course cannot be included in the same degree as 1GV056, Wind Power Basics.
Applies from: Autumn 2019
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
Vindkraft i teori och praktik
3., uppdaterade uppl.: Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2015
Wind power projects : theory and practice
Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge, 2015
Parts of the above literature are used in the course and additional reading material of about 100 pages will be provided in the e-classroom.