Syllabus for Project in Laboratory Synthetic Biology II
Projekt i laborativ syntetisk biologi II
- 15 credits
- Course code: 1MB405
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Established: 2016-11-09
- Established by:
- Revised: 2020-10-26
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Spring 2021
Alternative 1: 120 credits including Project in Laboratory Synthetic Biology I 15 credits or Independent Project in Molecular Biotechnology. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
Alternative 2: Bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits including 45 credits biology and biochemistry, whereof at least 30 credits in cell and molecular biology/biochemistry. Course in project management is recommended. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
- Responsible department: Biology Education Centre
After passing the course the student should be able to
- plan and implement a laboratory project in synthetic biology
- apply subject knowledge in biology chemistry and biotechnology and/or bioinformatics in synthetic biology
- lead a smaller project group with assignment to carry out a subproject in synthetic biology
- search compile and present information and knowledge that is required for project's implementation
- individually document and report result from experimental work in subproject
- contribute to create an informative Wiki for the project
- apply a scientific working method to plan implement, interpret and present project's experiment as well as critically review project's result and generate testable hypotheses based on these
- critically analyse advanced scientific and technical literature in chosen subject areas
- describe models for how creativity influences innovation and entrepreneurship
- perform and compile a risk assessment of subproject including ethical considerations.
Choice and planning of a project in synthetic biology. Literature studies of relevant current scientific and technical literature in subject. Design of a technically and temporally feasible project plan. Planning and implementation of lecture around a project relevant subject. Molecular biological work (e.g. PCR, purifying of DNA/RNA and mutagenesis), including cloning with so called Bio-bricks. Biochemical purifying and categorisation of biomolecules. Phenotype categorisation of genetically modified organisms. Biosafety and bioethics.
Teaching is given in the form of lectures, seminars/workshops and supervision. Participation in seminars/workshops as well as in experimental work is compulsory.
Planning and preparation 3 credits; Experimental work 10 credits; Presentation and Wiki 2 credits
Module Planning and preparation requires active participation. Module Experimental work requires implemented and documented experimental work performed according to course's instructions. Module Presentation and Wiki is assessed through written and oral presentations.
No more than two of courses Project in laboratory Synthetic biology I Project in laboratory synthetic biology II and synthetic biology may be included in qualification.
Applies from: Spring 2021
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
Forster, Anthony C.
Synthetic biology : a lab manual
Molecular cell biology
8th edition.: New York, NY: W. H. Freeman, 2016.