Syllabus for Degree Project D in Mathematics
Examensarbete D i matematik
A revised version of the syllabus is available.
- 15 credits
- Course code: 1MA081
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Established: 2007-08-30
- Established by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2007
Bachelor's degree and in addition at least 15 credits in Mathematics at advanced level.
- Responsible department: Department of Mathematics
To pass the course the student should be able to
- plan, carry out and present an independent work that requires a deep mathematical or statistical knowledge as well as a study of original scientific papers, or – should the work be done outside the university – a study of relevant technical literature;
- give a correct and linguistically good presentation of his or her work, scientific as well as popular, for various groups.
The nature of the independent work will be dependent on the student's field of study and interests. For example, the student could
- contribute to the mathematical research by obtaining original results;
- make a thorough study of a research paper, supplementing it with detailed explanations, proofs and examples;
- carry out the mathematical analysis and treatment of a problem that originates from some interdisciplinary area;
- investigate an industrial problem or a problem from the public sector, the solution of which requires sophisticated mathematical and statistical methods.
The degree project is carried out under the guidance of a supervisor who provides further instructions.
A scientific report should be written and then presented orally at a seminar. Both the report and the presentation should be of sufficient quality. The report should contain a popular summary and summary in English.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Spring 2019)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2011)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2007)
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.