The course is included in the following degree programme:
• Bachelor's Programme in Information Systems, specialisation software engineering, 180 credits.
Be given also as a freestanding course.
Regarding knowledge and understanding the student is expected to be able to on completion of the course:
• Explain standards for HTML and style sheets (CSS)
• Describe guidelines for usability and availability
Regarding competence and skills the student is expected to be able to on completion of the course:
• Apply basic coding in HTML and CSS
• Use CSS for responsive design
• Design simple dynamic web applications that use external systems
Regarding judgement and approach the student is expected to be able to on completion of the course:
• Validate web pages according to W3C standard considering the need of clients and users
• Analyse and evaluate websites from the perspective on usability and availability
Other parts that are covered are availability, responsive design and validation of web pages.
Component 1: Structure with HTML, 1.5 credits
The component deals with standardised HTML and the importance of the elements for the structure of web pages. Further, validation of HTML code is covered to verify correct syntax regarding elements and attributes for the standard one follows.
Component 2: Design with CSS, 2.5 credits
The component deals with standardised CSS to create design and layout for web pages. The component also covers validation of CSS code to verify that syntax follows chosen standard.
Component 4: Availability and Responsiveness, 1 credit
The component deals with the importance of websites being available for all users irrespective of disabilities and the guidelines that are to secure this. The component also covers how one creates responsive sites that will work for different screen resolution.
The course is given in the form of lectures, workshops and exercises.
The course is examined through written assignments.
For the grade Pass in the whole course, it is required that all components are passed. To pass with distinction is required furthermore passed with distinction on at least three of the components.
The course is given on Campus Gotland and as a distance course.