Syllabus for Current Trends in Linguistics
Aktuella forskningsområden inom lingvistik
- 7.5 credits
- Course code: 5LN141
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
General Linguistics A1N
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Established: 2011-09-23
- Established by:
- Revised: 2019-09-06
- Revised by: The Department Board
- Applies from: Autumn 2019
Fulfilment of the requirements for a Bachelor's degree with Linguistics or another language subject as the main field of study.
- Responsible department: Department of Linguistics and Philology
Decisions and guidelines
The course is given as an optional module within Linguistics D but may also be taken independently.
On completion of the course, to earn the mark Pass, the student should at least be about to:
- explain the basic principles of the scientific work and the research methodology with reference to modern linguistics (general linguistics),
- describe, analyse and critically examine relevant scientific articles within the field of linguistics (general linguistics), and
- work with a certain level of independence, clearly formulate and critically discuss theoretical and methodological assumptions and make adequate professional oral and written presentations of the results.
The course is given with different theme from current trends in linguistics. Possible themes are, e.g.:
- The Geometry of Meaning, based on Gärdenfors' book by the same name.
- The Phylogenetic Analysis of Language
- Colour semantics
Instruction consists of lectures, workshops and assessment. The student's own learning activities are of major importance for the outcome on this course.
The course has two moments of examination:
1.continuous written tests that are conducted during lecture hours;
2. a final project, the exact date for submission is announced by the teacher at the start of the course.
For the grade Pass (G), Pass is required in all moments. For the grade Pass with distinction (VG), Pass with distinction is required in moment 2 as well as Pass in moment 1.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the University's disability coordinator.
The course may be taken even if the student has already taken the course Current Trends in Linguistics (5LN142).
Applies from: Spring 2019
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
Bhatia, Tej K.;
Ritchie, William C.
The handbook of bilingualism and multilingualism
Second edition.: Chichester, West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013
Ordförrådsutveckling hos arabisk-svensktalande och turkisk-svensktalande barn i förskoleåldern och vid skolstart [Elektronisk resurs]
NF 31:1, 75-107
Ordförrådsutveckling på svenska [Elektronisk resurs] : En jämförelse mellan enspråkiga och flerspråkiga förskolebarn
Houwer, Annick de
Bilingual first language acquisition
Bristol: Multilingual Matters, c2009
Bilingualism : language and cognition
Vocabulary development in closely-related languages : Age, word type and cognate facilitation effects in bilingual Swedish-German preschool children
Part of:Linguistic approaches to bilingualism [Elektronisk resurs]
2011-vol. 10 (2020) nr. 5 s. 587622
Incomplete acquisition in bilingualism : re-examining the age factor
Crago, Martha B.
Dual language development and disorders : a handbook on bilingualism and second language learning
Third edition.: Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes Publishing, 
The bilingualism reader
2. ed.: New York, NY: Routledge, 2007
Syntactic transfer in a Cantonese-English bilingual child. In: Bilingualism: Language and Cognition