Syllabus for Current Trends in Turkic Linguistics
Aktuella forskningsområden inom turkisk lingvistik
- 7.5 credits
- Course code: 5TU600
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Turkic Languages A1N
Explanation of codes
The code indicates the education cycle and in-depth level of the course in relation to other courses within the same main field of study according to the requirements for general degrees:
- G1N: has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
- G1F: has less than 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G1E: contains specially designed degree project for Higher Education Diploma
- G2F: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- G2E: has at least 60 credits in first-cycle course/s as entry requirements, contains degree project for Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- GXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- A1N: has only first-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1F: has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
- A1E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (60 credits)
- A2E: contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
- AXX: in-depth level of the course cannot be classified
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Established: 2019-09-06
- Established by: The Department Board
- Revised: 2022-09-02
- Revised by: The Department Board
- Applies from: Autumn 2023
A Bachelor's degree with Turkic languages as the main field of study or a Bachelor's degree with another language subject as the main field of study.
- Responsible department: Department of Linguistics and Philology
Decisions and guidelines
The course is given as a freestanding course.
To earn the grade Pass, on completion of the course students must at least be able to:
- explain the basic principles of research methodology and a research project with reference to Turkic linguistics;
- give an account of, analyse and critically review selected scholarly articles in the field of Turkic linguistics;
- clearly formulate and critically discuss theoretical and methodological issues, with a certain degree of independence;
- present the results of their own work orally and in writing.
The course takes up various topics from current research areas in Turkic linguistics, e.g. morphosyntax in Turkic languages, documentation and description of Turkic languages or historical-comparative Turkic studies.
The instruction consists of lectures and assessment. Students' own learning activities are crucial for their work during the course.
The course has two assessment components:
1. continuous oral and written assignments;
2. take-home examination.
For the grade Pass, Pass is required in all components. For the grade Pass with distinction, Pass with distinction is furthermore required in component 2.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. Special circumstances can include notification of special educational support from the university disability coordinator.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Autumn 2023)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2020)
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.