Frequently asked questions

Scholarships, tuition fees and living costs

Do I have to pay fees to study at Uppsala University?

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland you will need to pay application and tuition fees to study in Sweden. If you have a residence permit for Sweden for a purpose other than studies, you will be exempt from paying fees.

More information at fees at Uppsala University

Do you offer scholarships?

Yes, we offer a limited number of scholarships to fee-paying students each year. These scholarships cover the tuition fee for studies at one of our Master’s programmes. Additionally, you can apply for the Swedish Institute Scholarships to study at Uppsala University. 

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is 900 SEK which is paid on before 1 February on the University Admissions website. If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen you should submit a copy of your passport to be exempt from paying the application fee. For further questions, please contact

How much are the tuition fees?

We charge between 50 000 – 72 500 SEK per semester. You can find the cost for each individual programme by having a look at the section “Admissions” on each programme webpage.

How much money do I need per month?

Living in Sweden can be expensive, but the actual cost per month you will need may depend on your lifestyle. Rent can cost between 3 500 and 6 500 SEK per month, depending on size, location and facilities. The Swedish government recommends that you have at least 83 700 SEK per year to cover all of your living expenses (a requirement for being granted a residence permit).

Is it possible to get a part-time job in Uppsala or Visby to cover my living costs?

We do not place any restrictions on students working alongside their studies and neither does the Swedish Migration Agency. However, it is very difficult to find part-time work in either Uppsala or Visby. We would recommend that you have your finances sorted before starting to study in Sweden. Even if you are able to find a part-time job in Sweden, the pay might not be sufficient to cover all of your living expenses.

Can I get a teaching assistant or research assistant job at Uppsala University during my studies?

We do not regularly employ students as teaching assistants or research assistants. University departments may employ exceptionally talented students for research projects, but you should never count on being able to find a job at the university.

Do you have any scholarships or grants for EU citizens?

Unfortunately we do not offer any scholarships or grants for living costs that EU citizens can apply for. We would recommend that you look at scholarship or loan opportunities in your home country.

Do you have a loan system to help cover living expenses?

If you are an US citizen, you can apply for the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program to cover your tuition fee and living expenses.

Read more about US Federal Aid on our website.

[To the top]


What kind of accommodation facilities does the university provide to international students?

We offer a housing guarantee for fee-paying students. This means that if you are a fee-paying student, you will be provided with housing for the duration of your studies, as long as you apply on time. The housing is only for the individual student. While we help you with housing, you are responsible for paying the rent each month, the cost of which ranges from 3 800 – 6 300 SEK month.

How can I find housing by myself?

If you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland you are not guaranteed housing by Uppsala University. Student housing is provided by a number of private companies and information about these companies can be found here.

[To the top]

Residence permit

Do I need a residence permit for studying in Sweden?

If you are an EU/EEA citizen you do not need a residence permit for studies. If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA you will need to apply for a residence permit after you are admitted to the programme.

Residence permit for studies – Swedish Migration Agency

When should I apply for a residence permit?

We recommend that you apply for your residence permit after you have been admitted to Uppsala University and paid your first tuition fee invoice. It can take two months or more to receive your residence permit decision, so it is advisable to submit a complete and accurate application as early as possible.

I applied for my residence permit in May and it’s mid-July now and I have still not received a decision. Can you get the Migration Agency to speed up their process?

Unfortunately we are unable to influence the Swedish Migration Agency’s decision making process. For any questions about your residence permit application, we would advise that you contact the Swedish Migration Agency directly.

[To the top]

After your arrival

How do I get a Swedish personal identity number?

If you are planning to stay in Sweden for one year or more, you should register in the Swedish population register. You can apply for this at the Swedish Tax Agency. If your application is successful you will receive a Swedish personal identity number, which is sent to your Swedish postal address. More information about how to get a Swedish personal identity number can be found on the the Swedish Tax Agency’s website.

Can I open a Swedish bank account?

In order to open a Swedish bank account you normally need to have a Swedish personal identity number. Some of the banks in Uppsala and Visby also require that you have a Swedish ID card as well as your personal identity number. You can apply for a Swedish ID card at the Tax Agency after you receive your personal identity number.

More information about opening a Swedish bank account. 

What should I do if I fall ill and need to see a doctor?

Students who have a Swedish personal identity number or a European Health Insurance Card are entitled to the same subsidized healthcare as Swedish citizens. If you need to seek medical assistance you should go to the nearest healthcare centre (Vårdcentral). If you are unsure of which healthcare centre you should turn to, you are welcome to call 1177 (Medical advisory advice).

Learn more about the Swedish healthcare system.
More information about healthcare in Uppsala.

I have a pre-existing condition. Will the FAS+ insurance cover the cost of my medicine?

No. FAS+ does not cover pre-existing conditions (ie symptoms or illnesses that you had before travelling to Sweden). However, if your pre-existing condition worsens after moving to Sweden, the FAS+ insurance will cover the cost of your treatment until your condition has been stabilized.

I am pregnant. Are my antenatal/prenatal check-ups covered by the FAS+ insurance?

No. FAS+ does not cover regular pregnancy check-ups, it only covers emergency healthcare. The insurance covers necessary and reasonable costs for emergency care in connection with delivery, miscarriage or other serious complications up to the end of the 28th week of pregnancy. In the event of delivery prior to the 28th week of pregnancy (27+6), necessary and reasonable costs for maternity and postnatal care for no more than ninety days. Other costs for care in connection with pregnancy or delivery are not reimbursed. Therefore, regular non-emergency check-ups unfortunately cannot be covered by this insurance. If you are eligible for a personal identity number, your care will be subsidised.

How can I get a student discount?

As a registered student at Uppsala University you will receive a student discount card (Mecenat card). The Uppsala Student Union orders Mecenat cards for all registered students, regardless of whether you are a member of the student union or not. If you do not join a student nation in Uppsala or become a member of any of the unions, your Mecenat card will be ordered after a few weeks. To receive your Mecenat card earlier than this, please contact the Uppsala Student Union.

Read more about the Mecenat card at the Mecenat website.

[To the top]