Extending your residence permit after graduation

After you have completed your studies at Uppsala University, it may be possible for you to stay in Sweden to look for a job or start your own business. You will need to obtain a residence permit through the Swedish Migration Agency, Migrationsverket, that is valid for up to six months. This will give you time to explore your employment opportunities in Sweden. To obtain a residence permit, you must:

To obtain a residence permit you have to:

  • Still be in Sweden. Your application may be refused if you have left Sweden after completing your studies
  • Hold a passport that is valid for the whole period you intend to be in Sweden
  • Have had a residence permit for university college education lasting at least two terms
  • Your last residence permit must have been a residence permit for university college studies
  • Have completed your studies – this means all of your courses must be completed
  • Plan to seek employment or examine the possibilities of starting your own business
  • Be able to support yourself during the time for which you are applying for a residence permit
  • Have a comprehensive insurance policy.

You can apply for a residence permit online, through the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

If you get a job in Sweden

If you are granted a residence permit to look for work in Sweden, you may work for as long as your residence permit is valid. If you are offered a permanent job, you can apply for a work permit for Sweden. This is done through the Swedish Migration Agency, Migrationsverket.