Register with the Swedish Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) handles the population register, ID cards and taxation in Sweden.

Population Register

If you are staying in Sweden for one year or more, you should register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency. Once you do so, you may be entitled to Swedish social and health-care benefits. You will receive a unique 10-digit Swedish personal identity number (personnummer). You will be able to use this number to simplify a range of transactions in Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, taking out home insurance, and visiting a doctor.

To become registered in the Swedish population register, you must apply in person. The required documents to bring to the Tax Agency office depend on your citizenship or if you move with or move in with your family member. Prepare your visit by filling in the tax office's "Move to Sweden" service.

More information about population registration and what documents to bring

Visiting address in Uppsala: Ebba Boströms gata 7 (Mon-Fri 10-16). From 10 August 2020, you must book an appointment in advance

Visiting address in Visby (Gotland): Artillerigatan 11 (Mon-Fri 10-16).

Swedish ID Card

When it comes to opening a bank account in Sweden, some banks have more stringent criteria for students wishing to open an account. For example, some banks require that students with a personal identity number to show a Swedish ID card along with their other documents.

It is possible to apply for a Swedish ID card from the Swedish Tax Agency after receiving the personal identity number. Applying for the ID card costs 400 SEK. 

More information about applying for a Swedish ID card