Syllabus for Accelerating Systems with Programmable Logic Components
Accelerering av system med programmerbara logikenheter
- 10 credits
- Course code: 1DT109
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Computer Science A1N,
Embedded Systems A1N
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2016-05-17
- Established by:
- Revised: 2018-08-30
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Spring 2019
120 credits including Computer Architecture, a basic course in digital circuits (especially state machines) and a basic course in programming. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
- Responsible department: Department of Information Technology
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- define complex digital circuits using hardware description languages such as VHDL or Verilog
- test, debug, and verify digital designs using test benches and simulation tools
- integrate custom programmable logic components with processor-based systems
- analyse power and performance of accelerating key system components
- demonstrate how a processor interacts with an accelerator through software
- Syntax and semantics of hardware description languages, and their use to define digital systems.
- Design and implementation of test benches and the use of simulation-based and on-chip debugging facilities for verifying system designs.
- Parallelisation of key algorithms for higher throughput and lower latency.
- Integration of hardware accelerators at the system- and software-levels.
- Overview of different design styles and abstraction methods.
- An extensive project in simulation and synthesis, designing a realistic accelerator for a system on chip processor system.
Lectures, labs, exercises, project.
Exercises, project work with report and presentation.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.