Syllabus for Biomaterials I
- 5 credits
- Course code: 1KB263
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Materials Science A1N,
Materials Engineering A1N
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2010-03-18
- Established by:
- Revised: 2020-10-21
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2021
120 credits in science/engineering including 20 credits in chemistry. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
- Responsible department: Department of Chemistry - Ångström Laboratory
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- account for requirements set on implantable materials
- account for most common use polymers, ceramics and metals used as biomaterials.
- decide and analyse how the properties of the materials influence interactions with proteins, cells and tissue.
- suggest choice of materials for implantation in the blood in soft tissue and in bone.
- show a general understanding of the process for commercialisation of medical implant.
Material for substitute or repair of human bodies. Organometallic implants and systems for tissue regeneration. Basic theory, invited specialists and project work with industry/academy.
Lectures and laboratory work, seminars, project work, guest lectures.
Examination takes place through written examination (3 credits), and through written and oral presentations and participation in laboratory work and seminars (2 credits). The final grades correspond to a weighted average of the results of the written examination and other parts.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.