Syllabus for Chemistry for Renewable Energy - Profile Course
Kemi för förnybar energi - profilkurs
- 5 credits
- Course code: 1KB763
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2011-03-10
- Established by:
- Revised: 2022-10-11
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2023
120 credits wiith 90 credits in chemistry. Proficiency in English equivalent to the Swedish upper secondary course English 6.
- Responsible department: Department of Chemistry - Ångström Laboratory
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- describe in general terms current technologies for utilizing renewable energy
- discuss advantages and disadvantages of different energy systems
- discuss other factors associated with renewable energy processes, such as environmental and socio-economical impact
- find, organise and present information pertaining to renewable energy systems available in databases, journals and the media
Overview of energy systems, different renewable energy techniques, and associated issues. These may include: artificial photosynthesis, solar cells, biomass and other biofuels, biological hydrogen production, fuel cells, batteries, other renewable energy sources of energy (e.g. hydroelectricity, wind power, tidal power etc.), sustainable development.
Invited speaker lectures, discussion seminars (compulsory attendance ), workshop/debate panel (compulsory attendance), site-visit (excursion), literature project assignment.
Oral examination throughout the course (2 credits). Assignments. The course ends a written project report and oral presentations (3 credits). The final grade represents a weighted sum of the different assessment tasks.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.