Syllabus for Structural Optimisation
- 5 credits
- Course code: 1TE447
- Education cycle: First cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2018-03-06
- Established by:
- Revised: 2023-01-31
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2023
90 credits within the Bachelor's Programme in Construction Engineering. Participation in Structural Mechanics and Design.
- Responsible department: Department of Materials Science and Engineering
On completion of the course the student shall be able to:
- identify different classes of structural optimization addressing sizing, shape, and topology,
- explain the concept of design variables, constraints, and objective functions in anoptimization problem,
- formulate engineering design problems for simple load-bearing structures as optimization problems,
- implement optimization algorithms in Python,
- numerically solve simple structural optimization problems.
Objective functions, constraints, different optimization algorithms. numerical implementation and problem solving.
Lectures, laboratory work, project work.
Written report of project work (5 credits).
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
Applies from: Autumn 2023
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
Christensen, Peter W.;
An introduction to structural optimization
[Dordrecht]: Springer, cop. 2009