Syllabus for Degree Project E in Computer Science
Examensarbete E i datavetenskap
A revised version of the syllabus is available.
- 30 credits
- Course code: 1DT540
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
Computer Science A2E
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G)
- Established: 2007-08-30
- Established by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Revised: 2010-10-23
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2011
A Bachelor's degree and, in addition, at least 30 credits in computer science at Master's level, including courses at Master's level that are necessary for the project. Admission requires a project plan accepted by the department.
- Responsible department: Department of Information Technology
After the course, the student should be able to
- show a deep knowledge within the chosen field of computer science
- search and in a critical way interpret and compile relevant scientific literature
- in a creative way delimit a scientific problem, plan a scientific study, choose appropriate methods, carry out the study, interpret and evaluate the results and, if applicable, generate falsifiable a hypotheses to explain the observations all within given time frames
- present the results in correct language for different target groups both in scientific and in popular form
- give constructive criticism on texts within the study field
- under supervision delimit a scientific problem, investigate it, interpret and evaluate the results and present the project in oral and written form
- search, evaluate and compile information relevant for the chosen problem
- actively participate in seminars and other activities at the department where the project is carried out
- comment and give constructive criticism on another student's project (opposition)
An independent project is carried out, where the knowledge from earlier completed courses are applied. The project is guided by a supervisor in close connection to ongoing projects in research or development.
To achieve the objectives, the student shall
The teaching is devised individually dependent on the direction of the project. Supervision is provided individually or in group.
To pass, a passed oral and written presentation of the degree project is required. The written presentation should consist of a scientific report, a popular summary and a summary in English. To pass, the student must also act as opponent on another degree project within same main area or have participated actively at a research seminar.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Spring 2019)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2011)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2007)
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.