Syllabus for GIS for the Humanities and the Social Sciences
GIS för humanister och samhällsvetare
A revised version of the syllabus is available.
- 7.5 credits
- Course code: 5AR766
- Education cycle: Second cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (G), Pass with distinction (VG)
- Established: 2013-12-05
- Established by: The Department Board
- Applies from: Autumn 2014
Bachelor's degree within the scientific field of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Responsible department: Department of Archaeology and Ancient History
After the completion of the course, students should be able to:
- formulate and a case study that is suited to a modern GIS analysis
- independently undertake a GIS-based case study/research project
- describe a series of GIS-methods for landscape analysis
- compare and evaluate different types of data used in a geographical information system
- present a GIS-based project in speech, writing and visually
The course provides students with knowledge and skills in working with Geographic Information System (GIS) and how GIS can be used to analyse issues within the humanities and the social sciences. It introduces theoretical aspects of landscape analysis and GIS. Along with lectures the participants work with tutorials after which they will design case studies or research projects according to their own research interests.
Teaching is offered in the form of lectures, GIS-based tutorials, individual work under supervision and seminars. Teaching can be offered in English is non-Swedish speaking students and/or teachers are participating. Otherwise it is offered in Swedish.
Examination is done through tutorials and the completion of a study/research project.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Autumn 2018)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2014)
The reading list is missing. For further information, please contact the responsible department.