Syllabus for Statistics for Engineers
Statistik för ingenjörer
- 5 credits
- Course code: 1MS008
- Education cycle: First cycle
Main field(s) of study and in-depth level:
- Grading system: Fail (U), Pass (3), Pass with credit (4), Pass with distinction (5)
- Established: 2008-03-18
- Established by:
- Revised: 2021-10-13
- Revised by: The Faculty Board of Science and Technology
- Applies from: Autumn 2022
Participation in Calculus for Engineers or Single Variable Analysis and in Algebra and Vector Geometry.
- Responsible department: Department of Mathematics
On completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- use a number of methods and techniques for visualisation of data sets;
- compute probabilities in simple cases;
- give an account of the concept random variable and be able to use some common probability distributions;
- understand the meaning of the central limit theorem;
- use point and interval estimates for some typical statistical problems;
- apply elementary regression for fitting measured data;
- give an account of some typical engineering applications of probability and statistics, e.g. reliability and quality control.
Descriptive statistics: measures of location and variation, frequency tables, bar diagrams, histograms, other diagrams and tools for visualisation. Introductory combinatorics and probability theory. Probability distributions: binomial, Poisson, normal, exponential. Central limit theorem. Point and interval estimation. The method of regression. Engineering applications, selected examples.
Lectures, lessons, computer exercises and problem solving sessions.
Written examination at the end of the course combined with discussions tasks and written assignments.
If there are special reasons for doing so, an examiner may make an exception from the method of assessment indicated and allow a student to be assessed by another method. An example of special reasons might be a certificate regarding special pedagogical support from the disability coordinator of the university.
- Latest syllabus (applies from Autumn 2022)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2021)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2019)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2016)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2013)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2010, version 2)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2010, version 1)
- Previous syllabus (applies from Autumn 2008)
Applies from: Autumn 2022
Some titles may be available electronically through the University library.
For course instances given in Uppsala in Swedish
Stokastik för ingenjörer
2., utök. uppl.: Lund: Studentlitteratur, 2015
For course instances given in Visby in English
Montgomery, Douglas C.;
Runger, George C.
Applied statistics and probability for engineers
7th ed.. EMEA ed.: Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2018